Teaser for Edge of Insanity

Below is the first chapter of my Minho/Maze Runner fanfic: Edge of Insanity.  Go check it out!
_______________________________________

Bang, bang, bang

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!"

I groaned and squinted in the hazy light leaking through the thin walls of my shack. Who in the hell-

"Shuckface, let's go! I don't have all day." This was followed by another series of thumps on my door. The poor structure shuddered as the unforgiving fist fell on it with unnecessary force. The voice was familiar and I rolled my eyes in annoyance. "Shut up, Minho, I heard you the first time."

"Well you should have responded then," he snapped from the other side. "Be by the East Doors in 10 minutes or we leave without you." I heard his footsteps signaling his retreat.

I growled, mostly from irritation and a little because I'd overslept. Again.

My feet swung over the lip of the thin mattress perched on my shaky bed-frame. My pants and shirt were hanging on the adjacent wall, drying from last night's washing. I reached for them and shimmied into the tighter clothing while muttering obscenities at Minho under my breath.

From my first day here he'd made it clear that I was getting no special treatment for being the only girl in the Glade. I was going to work and pull my weight same as everyone else around here. Which I'd done- that and more. Much more. Hell, I'd even turned down a room in the Homestead. Instead I decided to build myself this homey little shack at the edge of the woods to have some privacy from the guys.

However this just seemed to irritate Minho more. But I didn't shucking care. So, just to really piss him off, I'd had Newt recommend me as a Runner instead of my elected job as a Slicer.

Good thing too- I turned out to be one hell of a Runner. Pretty damn close to being good as the sarcastic king himself.

My fingers methodically tightened the laces on my dusty trainers. I'd need a new pair soon, these were getting worn out. I tied my dark hair back into a ponytail, grabbed my pack and trouped out the door.

As much as I liked to sleep, the Glade in the morning was one of my favorite things in the world. The sun was slowly climbing into the sky, staining the world pink and orange. A gentled breeze ruffled the long grasses and crickets jumped about, annoyed as I passed through their home. It was serene, and about the only solitude I had aside from running the Maze. Which I didn't count as solitude, not when every single step counted and your life could end in a mere matter of seconds.

The Homestead loomed before me, rickety and made of dark slabs of wood. A stark contrast to the bright morning sky. Frypan was standing behind a table underneath the awning. He was always up this early to make the Runners breakfast and see us off. Newt was perched next to him today.

"Hey, Ari." The cook caught my attention. "Running a late this morning?"

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes as he tossed me an apple. "My wake-up call was in a little mood this morning."

Newt chuckled at this. "Minho isn't really a morning person."

"Tell me about it," I took a bite out of my apple and bid them both farewell. I broke into a jog, knowing I would never hear the end of it if I was late. The other Runners were already at the East Door but a glance around told me I wasn't the last to arrive. I resisted the urge to groan. Minho had pushed me to hurry when I wasn't even the last one here. I finished off my apple and threw the core to the side.

"Hey, Ari." Thomas came to stand next to me. He was wearing the same blue shirt he always wore, the sleeve permanently stained no matter how many times he washed it. His shaggy brown hair was sticking up in several different direction as if Minho had urged him to hurry just as much me.

"Hey, Thomas. Sleep well?"

"Hell yeah. Especially after yesterday's run."

"Sucks. Minho run you hard?"