Chapter Three - No One Else

A/n I want to point out that when writing this I try to capture the essence of the show/book, but I  am allowed to take some liberties. Sorry if the timeline is confusing, but ibvoilsh I'm changing some things.

Joe's POV

You had taken me into your  apartment. I wonder how you can afford a place, I'm also a little worried about the fact that we just met and you're already willingly bringing me along into the place you live. I did just kind of save you, so maybe you have something for a Knight in shinning armor. I can do that for you, M. I can be that person, a better version of me.

"Sorry for the mess." You step further into your kitchen. "I recently moved into this apartment, I used to live with my friend Kat, but her boyfriend asked her to move in like a month ago, and there was no way I could afford a place like that without a roommate. She offered to keep paying, but I just..."

"Didn't want to feel like a kept woman?"

You laugh at that, genuinely. "Yeah, but Kat being Kat pulled a few strings and found me a smaller apartment that I would never be able to afford, but the landlord is a family friend. That didn't exactly feel right either, but...she's persistent."

"Friends can be like that." I'm not really sure what to say to ease you, but my answer seems to be okay enough for you. 

"Well, I guess if neopotisim is going to exist you shouldn't look a gift in the mouth...or I guess in this case not being homeless in the mouth." You hum while reaching into the fridge. I take the ice pack from you, our hands brush and I have to remind myself I can't just grab your hand. "Make sure to take that on and off, leaving an ice pack on constantly isn't good."

"Is that like the first thing they teach you in nursing school?" That's when you freeze, and I realize my mistake. Shit, I'll think of a way to cover this up. It's too early, M, you won't understand this is all out of love. 

"How'd you know about school?" 

I look around the room in a panic, and at the last second your pile of textbooks on the counter saves me. "Books, on the counter, they looked like nursing school books."

You seem to calm completely. "Oh, yeah. You're observant, I'll give you that." You rub the back of your wrist awkwardly, a habit you seem to be working on more and more. "Do you want water or anything..."

"Yeah, sure." You open your fridge and I notice it isn't very full, don't worry, when we live together, I'll keep the fridge stocked. 

You pour me some iced water and hand me the glass, again our hands brush. 

"Do you need ibuprofen?"

"I'm fine, really."

"You can say you're fine all you want, I don't have a degree yet, or anything, but you're lucky you don't need stitches."

"Even if I had to get stitches it would've been worth it." I swear we're having a moment, you're staring at me, I'm staring at you. 

A knock at the door before a creek interrupts us. "M and M, I'm here..."

We both turn to look at who walked in. The girl is tall, thin, with curled blonde hair and brown eyes. "Oh...hello, who are you?"

I have never heard a more annoying voice, and I don't know if I feel this way because she interrupted us. I'm waiting for you to send her away, she reeks of designer and trust fund. She takes off her oversized sunglasses and I recognize her, Katherine Carlton. 

"Kat," You grin awkwardly. "I thought you were coming by later."

"My therapist and I finished early." She frowns a bit. "Why? Sad I interrupted you and this guy, who is gorgeous, good job by the way."

You mouth 'I'm sorry.' "Kat!"

"Seriously, what's you're name?"

"I'm Joe Goldberg." I physically restrain myself from sighing. Putting up with the Paris Hilton's of the world, for you. I do however notice that you seem almost proud. That's a weird thing girls do, but thank you, Kat. 

"Joe's a friend, he totally saved me from a crazy ex."

"Aww, first stalker." Kat walks further into the kitchen. "It gets old. Glad that Joe saved you, and all that." Kat finally turns to me. "Since you're a friend of MJ's, you should come to her party tomorrow night. It's short notice, but she's finally going to be twenty-one."

If you want me to, but I'm not sure, I'm supposed to work.

"Yeah, you should." You finally say, I look into your eyes to see if you're just being polite. "There's always a mess of people at any party that Rachel has her hands on."

"Yeah, it might be interesting to see what it's like for you to have a date at one of these things. It'll be fun to see what it's like to stop you from going home drunk with some random guy." 

This makes me uncomfortable. You? All over some random guy.

"Not that it's necessarily a date." You speak up. "Kat gets a little ahead of herself, but you should definitely come."

Not a date. But a 'not a date' can turn into a date easily, and if I'm at the party I can make sure you're safe. 

"Please?"

I think that if you ask anything from me, I'll say yes. "Yes."