Neo-Ace Scene 05 - Relationships

Angie and Scott walked back to the elevators where she pushed the button for level 6. The elevator went three levels up to where she kept her office and the administration for Alien Materials. They passed through another automated security checkpoint into another set of futuristic, but spartan appearing corridors. A few researchers greeted Angie as they passed by.

"Truth time," Angie spoke up, after they were alone again. "Our jobs always seem to cross over at the strangest times."

"Uh huh," Joshua replied in agreement. He was somewhat amused by their situation. You would think that a mecha pilot and an alien materials researcher would not have reason to meet much, but that was certainly not their case. Years before they were married, when they were dating, he had discovered that the hard way. Angie had revealed that she was a spy when they were both assigned to the same mission. Despite some rocky moments, their relationship had only deepened over the years.

"I can't tell you everything of course, but I've had people analyzing captured control systems from the Newt mechas for years. Last year, we had a breakthrough on their mental feedback circuitry. We developed the PRECOG system out of both Newt and human technology. My researchers have been working very closely with Sarah's engineers."

"That explains a lot," Joshua added. "I should just assume you've got your hands into everything. You're like Janet's little protégé."

"You say that like it is a bad thing." Angie joked back. "After all, I am in CAJUN Intelligence."

"I know. I trust you with my life. But I guess I may have over-reacted a little down there... I was just worried about these kids I'm training."

"I know, dear," Angie replied. She then leaned forward to give him a light kiss on the lips. "That's one of the things I love about you. You take care of your own." Joshua affectionately returned the kiss. This was one of those rare moments where they didn't act professional at work.

Out of the corner of his eye, Joshua noticed the furry little head of a rodent peeking around a corner up ahead. Noticing it had been spotted, the ginger coloured head ducked back and was gone.

"I think we're busted. I just saw Pippi," he spoke out. "I think our offspring is onto us."

"I left Jennifer in my office with Russell. They're probably testing some of the neural gear on Pippi. Let's see what they're up to."

As they turned the corner a five year old girl in a frilly dress ran up to them with a guinea pig in her arms. She was as cute as could be and had inherited her mother's straight blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Mom! Dad!" she called out. "It really works. Pippi can read my mind!"

The guinea pig looked up at them and peeped twice in agreement.

"That's pretty cool. How is my little girl?" Joshua asked.

"We're great," Jennifer cheerfully replied. "Russell had us navigate this cool maze and I was guiding Pippi by reading a map. He said we did really well." Jennifer was beaming with happiness.

Damn, the two of them together were just so cute, Joshua thought. "That's great." Pippi was wearing a pink headset that contained a micro-camera and a neural interface. Jennifer wore a matching headset with glasses that allowed her to see the world from the guinea pig's point of view. The headset's neural communication link only transmitted thoughts in the outbound direction, to the pig.

Pippi wasn't just a normal guinea pig. Years earlier, in the aftermath of the Alien War, multiple governments had been performing genetic experimentation to weaponize animals. New breeds of cats, dogs, foxes, and even tigers had been developed. These species were stronger, faster, and smarter so they could obey instructions and perform better. An international convention had then outlawed their use as many of them were also more aggressive and could run out of control. Public protest shut down the labs and the animals were destroyed. Specimens of the early experimental guinea pigs survived as some researchers wouldn't destroy them. These guinea pigs had been enhanced for intelligence and a slightly improved physique. However, their gentle temperament had stayed and they were the friendliest little animals. With a slight head shape difference and somewhat longer legs they had gone on to breed with the general piggy population and flourished. These enhanced guinea pigs were genuine pets, but rumours of other genetically enhanced animals would occasionally flare up on the Internet still. At home, Pippi did not have a cage and freely roamed around in Jennifer's room, using a small litter box for natural needs.

Russell, a stereotypically skinny and nerdy looking scientist in a lab coat, came out of Angie's office. "The new version of the transmitter works great!" He spoke out.

"Version 2.0 is always the charm," Angie replied. "The link doesn't cut out anymore?"

"Boosting the power helped," Russell answered. "Range is doubled too."

"Can I keep the headset this time?" Jennifer asked. "Pippi says she likes playing with it. Right Pippi?"

The guinea pig peeped twice again, then nuzzled her arm affectionately.

Jennifer then looked up at Russell with a pleading expression.

Russell caved after a few moments. "Awww... You can keep it. This will probably be a good time to field test it anyways. If a kid doesn't break it, nothing will. We'll just check it again in a week, okay?"

Jennifer eagerly nodded.

"You softy," Angie teased. "I'll make sure you get your field data."

"Thanks," Russell responded. He then took a quick look at his wristpad. "I have to get going. Take care, guys." Russell dashed off.

"I don't think I'm looking forward to the teen years," Joshua joked to his wife.

"You'll be fine, dear," Angie responded. "She's already got you wrapped around her finger."

"Tell me about it," Joshua responded. He ruffled his daughter's head. "Let's head home."

Angie ran through a mental checklist of things she still had to do. "Let me grab a couple of things from the office and I'll be with you. Let's grab sushi tonight."

"Sushi!" Jennifer yelled enthusiastically. Her pet peeped again too, mirroring her master's excitement. "Good girl, Pippi." Jennifer then fed Pippi a bit of kibble.

Joshuasmiled. "Sushi it is then. But I didn't know Pippi liked sushi."