1.4

fourteen | i'm a fuck up

ETHAN
THURSDAY | EIGHT DRINKS

"Please leave your message after the tone."

"Emma?" He whimpered.

"I'm so sorry!" Ethan sobs, falling to his knees on the sidewalk near a park, a few streets away from the bar. "It's a habit to call you whenever I'm drunk, I wasn't thinking."

The time is nearing two A.M and he knew the moment he pressed Emma's contact—which was still the second in his favorites list—that he was going to regret it later. He felt too much stress to worry about the guilt.

"I'm sorry I'm calling after you asked me to stop, I'm sorry that I'm a fuck up, I'm sorry that you hate me, but I'm not sorry that I was protecting you from getting fucking killed!" Ethan yelled, not caring if people could hear him.

This was the first time he muttered anything that close to the truth to her, even if it was in a voicemail she may never even listen to. His chest felt tight and he just wanted some sort of relief. He's been holding so much in for the last two years, it was hard not to break down once in a while.

"I love you, Emma." He whispers, his voice now going soft.

"I just want to be happy..."

stay with me y'all, it gets worse before it gets better