Chapter One

Word Count: 1639

~Rosie

I headed the couples advice, and hid.

After wandering around for awhile, it appeared to me how small the village is. Each house is locked up, however, lights blazing from inside suggest there are people in there. Looking around, this place isn't the most hospitable. Run down houses border along each other, slumped fences hardly giving any privacy.

My thoughts wander to all the beautiful villages we passed on the way through on the train. Each are all unique and stunning in their own ways, however, none of them compare to where I have ended up.

The only way I can describe it to myself, is that it is creepy. Ominous trees surround the village, whatever might be beyond is unknown.

I make a note to ask someone about it.

With no money, and nowhere to go, I find a spot on the edge of village by the tree, leaning against the stump. My head falls into my hands, and I try my hardest not to cry. It prickles on the back of my eyes, however, I don't let a single tear fall. I lost my life on the mortal land earlier than I should have, which only made me stronger during my sentence in Death's realm.

At some point my thoughts lulled me to sleep. I may not have hidden like I was warned, but I don't have much of a choice.

At some point, childlike laughter woke me from my slumber. Blinking rapidly, I sit up against the base of the tree, my vision coming back to me. Four young children who can't be over ten mortal years old peer down at me, giggling between themselves.

I flinch, giving them all frights.

In an instant they all scatter, running off in different directions, as if they were caught commiting a terrible crime. Or maybe they are scared of me. Either way, I struggle to my feet, trying to ignore my aching back and neck. If the rest of my time here is going to be like that, I'm going to have to find a way out of here earlier than I thought.

The village is a lot more populated this morning. People wander around, taking no notice of me. They look distracted by their own pity, heads down, going along with their days work, not interested in a girl sleeping against a tree.

I was just about to get moving, brushing off the back of my pants, when the sound of clattering hooves on the ground rumbles down the main road of the village.

Keeping to the side of the road, I watch.

Five rather regal figures approach on horses, four men and one woman, hardly regarding anyone they pass by. My eyes fall on the front rider, a stone faced man with golden hair brushed back from his face. He looks dead ahead, not bothered by my stare as he rides past me. I'm most fascinated by the gun on his hip, a rifle, which glints tauntingly.

The rest of the riders, including the woman have bows instead, following along with equal uninterest. That is, until the girl's head snaps in my direction, and she looks at me. She has similar features to her brother, with those blonde strands, eyes sharp.

Swallowing uncomfortably, I let her observe me for a quiet moment before the group disappear into the forest.

The entire village seems to let out a breath once they were gone.

I'm not sure what that was, but I don't have time to investigate it right now. I need to find a bakery, and if what I saw last night is correct, there is a bakery further up town. Maybe they will have a job for me, and might let me sleep in their hearth until I have enough money to get out of this town.

Thick ash wood smoke catches in my throat as approach the bakey. A bell tingles above my head as I walk through the door into the shop front. The poignant scent of fresh bread has my stomach grumbling in response. Sweet delicacies are laid out in front of me, shielded behind glass.