Muggleborn :: Neville Longbottom

Being a muggleborn wasn't bad, but it certainly had its cons. Just because my parents are muggles and have no ability to use magic, doesn't defy my ability to use magic. Nice wizards and witches respect me, maybe a little more because I have no magical genes in my family, but people like Draco Malfoy despise me more so because of it.

Hermione Granger was my best friend simply because she understood my struggles being a witch with just ordinary parents. No one else quite understood what it was like.

Harry and Ron despite being pure blooded wizards never looked down upon me, they always boosted my confidence when I needed it and I respected them very much for it.

The Yule Ball was coming around and everyone was excited mostly because it was a dance and it gave us girls an excuse to dress up and do something out of the ordinary, where the guys on the other hand dreaded having to learn how to dance and to have to ask girls to the dance in a proper manner.

A week before the ball came quickly, I had my dress picked out as it was a mint green floor length dress that had silver beading all along the chest of the dress, and it had scattered stones throughout the tulle skirt.

The dress was strapless, and with some help from Hermione, we found a spell that would keep it up all night, not having to worry about having a shameful malfunction.

Hermione was asked by Viktor Krum who of course she couldn't deny, and Ginny was asked by Harry Potter, leaving me alone with no date at the moment. I watched in awe and jealousy as guys asked girls in front of their friends, earning squeals and cheers from all different groups.

Soon it was five days before the ball and I still had no date, I was thinking about just going and meeting with friends once I had arrived, but Hermione didn't want to hear that rubbish, as she was positive someone would ask.

While we were in the Great Hall, working on our essays for Potions, and Snape wandered through the walkways, watching us all like hawks, I took the time to look at every guy at the Gryffindor table.

Harry was going with Ginny, Ron didn't seem to have a date, maybe I could go with him? No I can't, even though Hermione's going with Krum I knew she fancied Ron, I couldn't do that to her. Seamus already had a date, Dean wasn't going, Fred just threw a paper ball at Angelina Johnson, he was taken, George probably got a date. I sighed, before looking down in worry that I would be a loner to the ball- every girl's nightmare.

As if luck was on my side a small piece of paper flew in front of me, unfolding itself to read a small note with messy handwriting.

I'm sorry I don't have the guts to ask in person, but would you go to the ball with me? - Neville xx

My cheeks turned crimson as I folded it back up neatly, before looking at Neville who sat across the table from me and a bit father away and nodded happily. He smiled brightly before going back to his essay as I did the same

Time skip to the Ball brought to you by Fred and George screaming to Green Day... oh the things that go on in my mind.

The night of the Yule Ball arrived as Ginny, Hermione and I all got ready together, helping adjust dresses on each other, applying makeup and using spells to make our hair look great.

Finally it was time for the Ball to start as we exited the girls dorms to the common room, where Neville and Harry were waiting for us to come down, both had their jaws dropped as they saw us before taking our hands and pressing a delicate kiss to our knuckles.

Neville gently intertwined his fingers with mine before following Harry and Ginny down the staircase to the great hall that had been renovated to fit the ball's theme.

There were icicles all over, the dance floor looked like ice and the orchestra playing beautiful wintertime tunes, it felt much like Christmas. Neville and I stood front row in the crowd, watching the Tri-Wizard champions dance with their partners, before it was open to everyone else to dance, Neville grabbing my hand and leading us to the still quite empty dance floor.

We started gracefully waltzing around the floor, as he effortlessly picked me up and continued dancing, Neville was quite the dancer and I was having a blast with him.

"I'm sorry it took so long for me to ask you." He whispered in my ear as he pulled me closer to him, as we started to sway as a slow song came on.

"Don't be sorry Nev, I'm already having a lot of fun." I smiled at him as he smiled back. I rested my head against his chest as we swayed effortlessly from side to side slowly. I closed my eyes, taking in the moment.

"Oh well well, I see mudblood got a date with Longbottom." Draco sneered as his date slapped him upside the head.

"Not now Malfoy, don't ruin our night." Neville spoke, my heart warmed that he was sticking up for me but also worried as Malfoy couldn't be intimidating by Neville.

"What are you gonna do about it?" Draco narrowed his eyes as I got between the two boys, holding Neville back.

"Boys please." I tried to intervene, but Pansy took Draco's hand and dragged him on the other side of the dance floor.

"I'm so sorry y/n." Neville said, looking down at you as he was quite taller than you.

"Don't be, he's right. I'm just a mudblood. Nothing more and nothing less."

"Hey you're one of the brightest witches of our grade, you're always at the highest of every class, giving Hermione a good run for her money." He chuckled, my cheeks started to turn crimson at his words.
"Just because you don't have magical genes doesn't defy who you are. Anyone who knows you adores you."

"Thanks Neville, you're really a sweetheart." It was his turn to turn crimson now.

"I try, I can't see someone I admire talk herself down like that. Don't ever give in to Draco Malfoy, because all he is gonna do is destroy you." He took his finger and tilted my chin up to look him in the eyes, before I got a chance to react he pressed his soft lips against mine.

My arms wrapped around his neck as he wrapped his arms gently around my waist, like I was going to shatter under his touch.

The kiss ended as he pulled away gently, smiling shyly at me before pressing his forehead against mine as we still swayed to the song that was playing.

"Y/n, I love you, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked shyly. I beamed and I nodded.

"I would love to be." You said before leaning in for another sweet kiss.

A/N: I got this idea a while ago I've just been distracted writing all the other one shots but be sure to vote! :)