Chapter 31

PoV: Shadow

  I heard music. A song coming from Sonic's room. I hadn't heard him sing much lately. I missed it, it was like he was truly alive on stage. I listened through the door quietly. Taking in every word he sang.

"Okay so I'm gonna say it,

"I'm not afraid to say it.

"The clocks on my walls keep tic-ing,

"The moments that I keep miss-ing.

"Okay so I must confess that,

"I've settled for so much less than,

"What you design~

"I'm not taking my life one day at a time!"

  He hit every note just like always. I snuck in to catch a glance. On the floor was a flyer.

  Winter Dance! All bands welcome to play.

  He was rehearsing. He wanted to perform. There was a crumpled paper on the ground to. The school play recruiting students for Romeo and Juliet. I guess he doesn't like plays.

"With eyes open wide~

"I'm taking you i~in.

"Making the time~

"Mean all that it can.

"Don't need a sign~

"Just need to begin.

"With ever~y sec-ond of ever~y min-ute. I'm liv-in' in it and that's how I say it~"

  His voice was still beautiful. If anything, he could be the granteed winner of any talent contest.

"Let-me fall in your arms,

"Rest-ing here in your arms,

"I found,

"A peace like I have never known,

"Like I have never known.

"Count-ing ev-ery star,

"Noth-ing's ev-er too far,

"With you here~

"I see it all so clear."

---

"Oh~ yeah, I'm gonna say it, oh~ yeah, yeah

"That's how I say it~

"Oh~ yeah I'm gonna say it, oh-oh~

"That's how I say it~

"Oh~ yeah, I'm gonna say it, oh~ yeah - yeah

"Oh~ yeah, I'm gonna say it."

  Sonic finished his song and took a breath. He put the paper of lyrics he had in his hand.

"AH! Shadow," He jumped back when he saw me in the doorway, "Y-You didn't hear all that did you?"

"I did," I hugged his waist, "You're still an amazing singer."

"Shadow... you weren't supposed to see," He blushed and hid his face in my chest.

"You want to play at the dance right?" I asked, "Should I ask you to be my date?"

"I wish I could but... I have work," his eyes drifted to the sheet on the floor.

"How about I get you a present?" I kissed his ear.

"You really don't have to-"

"Your birthday, is it coming up soon?" I asked.

"It's not until July."

"That far?" I thought of an excuse, "then for our one month anniversary tomorrow."

"It's been a month already?" He said, "I'm sorry, I don't want remember when we got together..."

"It's alright," I kissed him, "I only remembered just now."

"I still feel guilty," he pouted.

"Well, then. How about this? Tomorrow you get off work early. So I'll pick you up," I picked him and he started laughing, "and take you out on a real date."

"That sounds wonderful," he purred.

"Great. Then leave yourself a change of clothes an I'll bring them to you after work. That way you don't have to be in your school uniform."

"Okay," he kiss my cheek, "I'll be ready for tomorrow."

--- Next Day ---

PoV: Sonic

"Sonic, could I talk to you for a second," the girl everyone called Wave walked up to me and pulled me aside.

"Um... sure?" I decided to put my guard up. Being pulled to speak alone didn't usually end well for me.

"You know the play right?" She asked.

"Oh yeah, there's flyers all over," I answered.

"We're aren't actually doing Romeo and Juliet. That's just a cover up so the teachers are fooled. We need you to be Veronica. With a voice and posture like yours, you'd be perfect for the part."

"I'm not really very fond of memorizing lines. And I work," I said, "Sorry."

"It's not just a play. It's a musical," she handed me a heavy packet. It only read the script, "Think about it," she left.

"A musical?" I flipped through the cast, "She said Veronica right? Why are there three Heathers in this?"

  I looked at the song list. You know what, this could be fun. I see what Shadow thinks tonight. On our date.

~~~

  Whoops, looks like you'll have to wait to see the date. Muwahaha!

  Don't worry, I'll make it a good one. Love ya.

Bye bye ~ 😙