4 - "I'm a model, you know."

I awoke in what I imagine would be the worst way possible – I didn't know who I was. I just felt it within me: this complete sense of ignorance of how I came to be where I was or who I was. I opened my eyes and looked above me. The distance between the ceiling and myself was impressive. The arches in the rafters above were many, many feet above my head. I knew without trying that if I were to call out, my voice would echo across the room.

I pushed my body up into a seated position. I had expected to feel some sort of ache or pain at the effort of lifting my body. Who knows how long I had been lying there on this strange bed – so soft and comforting... maybe that was why I wasn't sore? Or maybe I just happened to get a really wonderful night sleep for once. Yes, that was probably it. It's so important to get a good night's sleep and that's precisely what I had done.

But where was I?

I glanced around at the elaborately decorated room I had been apparently sleeping in. I didn't recognize it. But then, I didn't really know if I should recognize it or not. Nothing seemed familiar. I was in uncharted territory.

My eyes were drawn to the floor-to-ceiling mirror adjacent to the lavish canopy bed I sat upon. I expected to at least find familiarity in my features, but there was nothing. It was as though I were watching a video of a girl I didn't know – a beautiful girl, sure, but a stranger, nonetheless.

I slid off the bed, noting the deep maroon gown I wore, the sleeves flaring out away from wrists and the waist cinching in an attractive way accentuating my small frame. Stepping closer to the mirror, I gave my body a full inspection. My hair was lovely – so long and catching the light in the prettiest way. I lifted my hand, sliding it through the dark brown locks framing my face. I sighed at the softness tickling my hand. Perfect hair. That's what that was.

Stepping even closer to the mirror, I examined my facial features. My skin was so soft and smooth, not a blemish to be seen. My chestnut eyes were bright, practically glowing, the whites contrasting so vividly against my naturally tan skin with a hint of pink blush on my high cheekbones. I could have been a model. I smiled at my reflection, my full pink lips stretching so coyly. Of course, I was a model. That had to be it.

"I see you're pleased with your appearance," a voice called from behind me. I turned my head to face the newcomer. An attractive man, appearing to be in his mid-twenties, and with a vague sense of familiarity approached me. I didn't feel any fear toward him. Instead, I felt almost compelled to please him.

"Oh, yes," I told him, turning to look at myself in the mirror again. I flashed a smile at myself, this time showing my perfectly even white teeth. "I'm very proud of how I've managed to take such good care of myself." I glanced over at him. "I'm a model, you know."

The man snorted a laugh somehow managing to make the gesture seem graceful. He rolled his eyes but smiled at me anyway. "I forgot how strong the personalities are upon rebirth," he said.

I turned my back to the mirror to fully look at him, puzzling my brow in confusion. "What does that mean?"

He sighed. "It means you have a lot to learn, and your prideful personality is going to be a bit annoying for me." He lifted his arm, gesturing for me to take it as though he were escorting me to a ball. Perhaps he was. I was certainly dressed for a ball. I would definitely make a very good date for a ball. Anyone would be lucky to take me to a ball.

"Are we going to a ball?" I asked, squeezing his arm excitedly. "I love balls. I'm a very good dancer...I think."

"I'm sure you are a phenomenal dancer," he said while leading me from the oversized bedroom and down an equally ornate hallway. I was surprised to find suits of armor literally lining our path. It made it seem as if we were in a palace. "But no, we are not going to a ball."

I pouted my lip for a split second before beaming at him again. "Who are you?" I asked. "Why don't I know who I am?"

"You can call me Sin," he said, the corner his lip quirking up as though something amused him, such as an inside joke. "Your memory will come back to you in a few hours."

"Oh, wonderful," I said. Sin led me through a set of double doors into a living room plentiful with gold, black, and mahogany décor. "I'm sure my memory will impress you. I bet I get my memory back sooner than you think. You'll see." I gloated happily.

Sin released my arm, gesturing for me to sit down on an adorable sofa that looked as though it cost more than the gown I wore. Not that I didn't deserve to sit on it – if anyone deserved to sit on expensive furniture, it was me.

"Here," Sin said, dropping a golden goblet on the cocktail table before me. "Drink this. It will speed up the process." He sat down on the sofa facing me, on the other side of the table. The way he kicked his ankle up to rest across his knee invoked such poise and confidence in him. I was almost envious, before I remembered that I probably had just as much, if not more,poise and confidence.

"A toast!" I said, raising my glass. I frowned when I realized Sin didn't have a drink of his own. I lowered the glass, looking down at it with a pondering expression. Should I toast when there was no one to toast with? I shrugged quickly before throwing my head back and tossing the cool liquid down my throat as though it was a shot.

"Well, you drank that fast," Sin said, but his tone sounded a bit different this time. Less amused and more ...annoyed?

"Yes, I'm excellent at taking shots..." I trailed off. The mention of shots left a niggling feeling in the back of mind, stirring a memory from what I'm sure were the dusty corners of my mind where it'd been buried.

I wasn't good at taking shots. In fact, the last shot I had been offered, I ended up splashing all over...

"Lily," I breathed her name. The shame I had felt in the instant that I spilled that drink on Lily at her party felt like a distant memory of a life long forgotten.

I glanced up at Sin, his dark eyes, so dark they had to be black, were passing analytically over my features. His eyes thrust another memory through my mind.

Pain. So much pain.

"What happened to me?" I asked, my voice cautious, no longer reminiscent of the breathy vain person I had been moments ago.

"You've been reborn with a ...different type of personality," he said, his words sounding so calculated.

I gripped the armrest of the sofa, my fingers digging into the soft, satiny fabric. "I don't understand."

"I'm the Dark King, dear," he said, opening his arms out from his sides. "I decided you have been shamed long enough. So I gifted you a new personality trait." He gave me a tense smile. "I gave you pride."

My mouth dropped open. I was still flabbergasted. I still didn't understand. Was that supposed to make sense to me? "I still don't get it," I said.

"Well, think about it," he said. He adjusted in his seat, placing both feet on the ground and leaning forward so his elbows rested upon his knees. "Before I saved you, you felt shameful about anything. About everything. And now? How do you feel now?"

I closed my mouth and glanced down thoughtful of what he was suggesting. It was true. I remembered I used to feel shameful. I felt it all the time. Ashamed of whom I was and ashamed of whom I wasn't. But now, I certainly did feel different. I felt as if I could be the person I always wanted to be. I felt like I already was. I felt as though nothing anybody ever said to me could ever hurt me, ever again.

I looked up at Sin, watching me even closer than he was before. "You're right," I said. 

"I feel... proud."