Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

The drive back was silent. I had ran back to the car after the events that took place in the lair. I didn't feel good. Nowhere near it. As soon as I made it to the car, I got sick, really sick. I hated throwing up. I tried my best to hold back my long hair, but my shaky hands were no help to me. I felt someone rub my back and grab my hair from me, getting it out of the way.

I leaned against the back of the car, hoping that it was all over. I looked from the corner of my eye and saw Tyler doing his best to help me. He held me, making sure I wasn't just going to fall over.

"Here," he offered, presenting me with a water bottle. I gave him a look of surprise and he replied, "Always have to be prepared with Reid."

The boys had debated what to do but I had told them that I just wanted to be left alone. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone, which they kindly respected. Reid had offered for me to stay at his parents' house since they were out of town "again". He said that it would be far enough for me to be alone but close enough for them to come over and check up on me.

In the car, I leaned against the passenger side window, feeling the coldness rush through that part of my body. Tyler, Caleb, and Pogue were crammed in the back seat, while Reid drove us. I could feel Reid sneak a few glances at me, checking on me, but not wanting to disturb me. Once we reached Pogue's house, the three in the back hopped out, but before they did, they each placed a kiss on the top of my head, showing that they cared about me.

Reid stayed silent as we approached his parents' mansion. It was just as big as Pogue's. It definitely had history to it. He had parked Tyler's car in a massive garage that was empty at the moment, then led me inside. The house was a little different than Pogue's but in a way it was similar. I notice the amount of artist expression within the house hold. Pictures, paintings, sculptures, they were all unique and beautiful. Reid let me upstairs, showing me to a massive guest room, big enough to fit like three of the dorm rooms.

A rumble echoed through the quiet house as a flash of lightning startled Reid and I. The sound of the pouring rain hitting the house, sounded like we were at a concert. The lights in the room flickered before completely shutting off on their own. Reid let out a groan.

"I'll go get some candles and lanterns," Reid said before closing the door behind him. I let out a painful sigh. I could now feel the pain of my burnt flesh. I didn't want to move at all.

"Blair?" I heard, followed by the door opening. "I brought you some clothes," Reid said entering with a lantern that had a large candle within it. He handed me the clothes and pointed out that the door that was across from the bed. "You can change in the bathroom," he said as he placed candles everywhere.

Entering the bathroom, I tried my best to remove my clothing without causing anymore pain than I was in currently. I could feel the wax rip off my skin as I removed my shirt and bra. I tried my best not to whimper in pain, but the sounds escaped me with every tug and removal.

"Blair, are you okay?" I heard at the door.

"I don't know," I managed to say. There was no response. It almost felt harder to put new clothes on. Reid's large shirt, brushed against the burns, sending sharp stabbing pain through my body. I did my best to hold back whimpers, but I was too tired and beat up to keep it in. Tears formed in my eyes and instantly I looked up at the ceiling, hoping they would not stream down my face. I glanced down and looked at myself in the mirror, noticing the hand print burn almost healed, surrounded by the new burns.

"Can I open the door?" I heard Reid whisper from outside. I nodded my head, forgetting that he couldn't see me, but it was like he knew. He slowly opened the door, letting it open all the way. I avoided his gaze. I couldn't imagine the look he was giving me or what he thought of me after all of this.

His warm clothed hand took a hold of mine and gently pulled me out of the dark bathroom. The bedroom was illuminated by random candles around the room, placed deliberately far away from the bed. I noticed that he had a hold of something in his hand. A small glass container. He led me to the bed, directing me to take a seat next to him. He took a hold of my hand after I took a seat and examined my arm. Lifting up the baggy sleeve that came down my arm farther than a shirt my size would, he exposed some of the fresh burns.

"The burns don't look too bad. This ointment should be able to relieve some of the pain and help with the healing," Reid whispered, unscrewing the lid to the container. The sound of the rain hitting the roof and window, filled our silence before I decided that I would speak, curious about what he was putting on me.

"What is it?" I asked, my voice a little raspy and rough.

"It's a homemade recipe of herbs and oils that have been passed through the generations in my family. My grandmother used to call it Boo Boo Balm," he said, ending with a smile.

He slathers a good amount on my burn, first hurting from the pressure, after a moment, there was a soothing sense of relief that sent a cooling sensation though my arm. Sighing with sudden relief in that area, Reid continued to massage the balm in gently.

"Would you like me to get your back? If you're comfortable?" he asked. It was nice that he had asked for my permission, not just assuming. I nodded my head, grabbing the ends of my shirt and lifting it up as much as I could. Reid helped tucking the shirt on my shoulders. He did it in a way that it didn't expose any other part of my body with my shirt lifting, and for some reason, I realized that I was comfortable around him. Being exposed like this didn't bother me like it did with others.

"Thank you," I said after some time, breaking the not so awkward silence between us.

"No thanks needed," he replied, gently tending to my wounds. "It's the least I could do after everything,"

"So where are your parents?" I asked, changing the subject. I didn't even want to touch what happened tonight.

"They travel a lot for business," he answered, no real emotion behind his words.

"What do they do?"

"My father is a photographer and my mother used to be a professional ballerina, but now works as a fashion designer," he answered. I noticed when he spoke about this father, his voice was hard and rigid, where as speaking about his mother, he was a little more relaxed.

"Wow, very creative people," I answered, surprised.

"Runs in the family. My grandfather was a sculptor and made pottery. My grandmother was a pianist and she made homemade oils and ointments." His voice was gentle and soft. I turned my head slightly, peeking at him, seeing a smile across his face.

"Sounds like your family has a long line of creatively." He chuckled in agreement. "So then what's your thing?"

"What makes you think I have a thing?" Reid asked coyly. I didn't respond and he let out a sigh. "Painting," he admitted.

"Reid Garwin, a painter?" I asked. "It suits you,"

"It's a good distraction,"

"It's more than that,"

"What is it to you?" he asked, intrigued.

"It's who you really are," I stated, leaving it at that. I think that stunned him. He had just revealed a huge part of himself to me, something that no one would know unless well, you were in a situation like this. "So, when do I get to see some of your work?" I asked, half joking. I knew that art was personal and it probably was for him, seeing as it isn't something that he talks about a lot. He chuckled as he put my shirt back down.

"Maybe when all of this is over," he whispered.

"I think we have to know what all of this is first," I let slip. Sometimes my mouth just does what it wants and it always gets me in trouble.

"Oh, I'm sure we will find out. Most likely it'll hit us in the face."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! If you liked it, feel free to give this chapter a vote and/or comment. I would love to hear what you guys think. See you at the next chapter!

- Impact