A Discovery

JON

Jon Snow, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

The title played over and over in his mind as he lay awake in bed the night Daenerys proposed to him. He was so taken back that a woman as beautiful and powerful as her would even consider him that he said yes without thinking of the ramifications, and now just the title he would be gaining was beginning to make him queasy. Jon never wanted to be King in the North or even Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, yet here he was, standing on the precipice of becoming King of the whole bloody country - some highborn bastard who'd been sneered at and looked down upon his whole life, soon to be king of the very people who hated the idea of who he was. But the prospect of having Daenerys by his side to weather it all made the thought of it easier to handle. She had plenty more experience ruling over people who hated her if her stories of the masters in Mereen were anything to go by.

They still had plenty of details to work out, including how in all seven hells he would tell his people, but if Daenerys held true to her word and made him an equal ruler by her side, the Northern lords couldn't be too unhappy. Jon knew they would never consider Daenerys their queen, so it was crucial that he present the marriage alliance to them that showed it in the best light...

Gods , he needed to tell Sansa. He almost wished he'd brought her along to help with negotiations. Ser Davos gave wise counsel, and Jon was beginning to look at the man as a father figure, but he didn't know the north as well as he thought he did. Jon only hoped the two of them could navigate the negotiations without everyone losing their heads. His biggest worry was convincing Daenerys and Tyrion the threat of the Night King and his army of the dead were real. It was critical that they believe him and agree to mount some sort of defense against them. Tyrion seemed to be humoring him with his far-fetched armistice plan with his sister, and Jon couldn't deny how much more prepared they would be if Cersei would agree to send along troops as well, but in his experience, nothing ever went as planned; Tyrion's most recent plans more.

Best to table it for the night and ponder more on it in the daylight hours.

Jon sighed and rolled onto his side as he closed his eyes to sleep, the image of a very flushed and flustered Daenerys appearing behind his eyelids. He never thought it was possible for her to be more beautiful, but the sight of her cheeks turning pink as he kissed her hand goodnight had his abdomen tightening and trousers feeling uncomfortably tight, even hours later. He chided himself, knowing that since they were going to marry, he'd have her in due time, so it was pointless getting himself worked up now.

The next thing he knew he was being awoken by someone pounding on his door. Grumbling, Jon stumbled from the bed and pulled on a shirt, then wrenched open the door, blinking blearily.

"Davos?"

"Good morning to ya to, yer grace. Sorry to be buggin ya so early, but I wanted to ask ya something before I took Lord Tyrion to King's Landing. Can I come in?" Davos greeted, his hands folded behind his back.

Jon wordlessly stepped back from the door, allowing the older man inside before shutting it behind them and making his way over to the washbasin. "The sun's not even up. What's so important that it couldn't wait till after the sun was up?" He splashed some cold water on his face, sighing as it washed the sleep from his eyes and helped pull him to full consciousness. "Actually, since you're here, I've some news to tell you. But go ahead, you first."