Chapter Seven

"Samantha, for god's sake wake up." I recognized Nick's voice, groaned and mumbled.

"Shut up and lemme sleep." I could tell he was exasperated but I was busy sleeping, even though my bed was not comfortable and I wanted to go someplace else I did not have the strength to get up.

"Samantha, it's four in the afternoon, I have to go, you have to get up, please." My eyes snapped open when he said it was four.

"Holy shit, how long have I been sleeping?" I asked him, he gave a sigh of relief and then started gathering his things up.

"Some twelve hours I guess." He said and shrugged.

"Jesus. What happened to me.?" I asked him.

"You...we got unbelievably drunk and then so sleepy that we both slept on the floor." He told me and that was the first time I noticed that I was not in my bedroom and was sitting on the floor.

"No wonder I was uncomfortable." I muttered and then another thought hit me straight in the head.

"Oh my god, Nick did we ....?" I couldn't say it, he glanced at me dumbly.

"Did we what?" He questioned me.

"Did we have sex?" I blurted the sentence out and then practically died of embarrassment when Nick started laughing crazily.

"I wish, we were both so drunk, we just crashed." He assured me and I muttered a thank you prayer to god.

Then I remembered that today was Monday.

"Oh hell, oh hell, oh hell." I chanted.

"What's wrong?" He asked me.

"I had a meeting at the bookshop today at ten and its four now, Casey's probably thinking I'm dead."

"Look, I got to go, I'm sorry, I'll give you a call." He started going, but then looked back and said,

"Yesterday was the best day of my life." And smiled. Then he was gone.

"Yeah wish I could say the same, but since I don't remember one gory detail, I have no clue." I said to myself and then checked my cell phone.

"Hell." I slurred. I had twenty one missed calls and seventeen of them were from the bookshop, I knew I was in deep water so I called Casey back.

"Hello, Impressions bookstore, how may I help you?" Casey regarded me.

"Hi, and before you say anything, I was sick so couldn't make it to the meeting." I told her and there was a brief silence on the line and I knew this was the silence before the storm and I was right.

"Where in hell were you, I called you like crazy, I thought you were kidnapped or dead, I was out of my mind with worry. Oh my god the clients went away and I kept calling and calling and you did not even have the courtesy to pick up your phone and inform me. Do you have any idea how irritating and humiliating it is when somebody doesn't ...." I cut in her speech.

"Look I told you I was sick and I had sleeping pills so I was dead to the world and I got up now only."

I told her and she sighed in frustration.

"What happened?" She asked more politely. Wow I did not know what to say.

"Well, I had a raging headache and fever and I could not sleep the whole night so I took some pills but then I forty winked and I got up and checked my missed calls and there were seventeen of yours, so I called."

Gee I was such a good liar, I thought and smiled.

"Whatever I rescheduled for five today so rush out here." She told me and then banged the phone down; I was glad I had her; I changed into some sophisticated clothes and headed to the book store.