Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I sat on the ground, digging my toes into the moist earth, sighing deeply since the cast Thanatos had given me was itching and driving me insane. I just wanted to take it off but Thanatos had told me I most likely had to wear it for six weeks maybe less depending on my bone healing ability. I had taken my shoes off earlier today as Erebus had to heal my feet for the third time this week and the ground allowed me to walk barefoot on it anyway. 

This was the last abandoned sphere we had to search and it was gigantic, very humid and every breath I took felt like I was just inhaling hot steam. Hypnos had gone on an hour long rant of how shitty rainforests were and how much he hated it and the insects that were crawling everywhere. If it weren't for the high temperatures and humidity, I'd very much like this sphere. The ground was covered in soft moss, colored a very rich wine red and the foliage of other plants was of a similar color and there were trees reaching up several hundred feet as if they were trying to touch the sky, making even the gods in our group look tiny.

I watched a bug the size of a small cat stagger past me, watching the sun reflect on its rainbow colored body before it approached Nemesis and Eris who were just sitting there, sweating just like me. Eris curled her lip at the insect and used a branch to push it away but Nemesis seemed to be excited by the crawling insect and offered it a piece of bread. It stopped but didn't seem to know what to do with the bread and just started pushing it around before it lost balance and laid on its back, legs in the air.

"How's your wrist?" Erebus asked as he was sitting down next to me.

"Itchy." I offered and he sighed, ruffling my hair.

He had talked to Eris and they had gotten into an argument and now she refused to talk to him. According to him she was convinced that he was cheating on her mother while completely ignoring that they had split up more than a century ago and her mother had been involved with several people over the span of that time. I didn't understand why she got this upset or why she blamed me for the situation. I didn't seduce her dad or force them to break their relationship off.

The angels had made a huge fuss about the incident with Eris and they hadn't wanted me to get close to any Greek soldier after that. I hadn't listen and I had used the first opportunity I got to steal myself away from Lucifer as he wasn't paying attention to me for a moment to go and talk to Erebus. We had only been separated for a few hours but I had already missed him terribly and basically thrown myself into his arms. 

Lucifer had tried to get me to let go of Erebus but he had soon figured out I wasn't going to and he hadn't dared to physically drag me away from him. He had just grunted and glared at him before he'd left us alone, giving us some privacy. It had quickly turned into me not being able to keep my hands and lips off him. I still didn't know where that side of me came from and it scared the crap out of me.

"What are we going to do if we don't find them here?" I asked.

"That would be inconvenient." He huffed, scraping my scalp with his claws. "I highly doubt they are hiding in Heaven since that would be breaking almost all laws and they love to stick to them. Due to every other sphere hating us, surely they'd be happy to hide them from us and we can't just declare war on everyone until we find them."

"I hope we find them. I want to go home." I sighed, concentrating on the dirt again.

He hummed approvingly before he looked over to his daughters. Nemesis was holding the bug in her lap and petting its head while Eris watched it disgusted and had scooted away from her to not be close to the insect. The bug seemed to enoy getting paid attention to and started vibrating his wings while Nemesis smiled at it. I retrieved his hand from my hair and brought it up to my face so I could rub my cheek against it.