Fourteen

Dedicated to Waylon_Barnes

They all sat around in a circle in the middle of the mall. Tents surround them and they had a red lamp in the center of the circle. 

"Last week we scored five pallets of fresh produce off a delivery truck," one of the kids told them.

"What do you do with all of it?" Chubs asked. "I mean, it's only four of you guys."

"We do the work that needs to be done," the redhead told him. "We're the arms and legs of a greater cause."

"Wait," Liam leaned forward, "do you know him?"

The four leaned forward and the redhead spoke, "Know him?"

"Yeah, the Slip Kid," Luce said.

"Nah, nobody really knows the Slip Kid."

"We're trying to find his camp."

"East River?"

"So it's real?" Liam sounded hopeful as he asked.

"Sure."

"Well, where is it?" Luce asked, a tiny bit annoyed by how the kid is responding.

"I can't tell you."

"Come on, dude, you got to be shittin' me, man!" Chubs said. "Come on!"

"They call it a secret for a reason, pal," the brunette sitting next to him said with an obviously fake smile.

The redhead spoke again, "It's one of the Slip Kid's rules. One hundred percent secrecy. It's the only way he can keep all the kids safe."

Ruby looked around as an idea popped into her head. She looked at the redhead sitting next to her. "Do you think that we've survived this by following the rules? Look, we're not just a bunch of dead weight." Her eyes glowed orange as she gently touched his hand resting on his knee. "We're powerful. And we're useful. The Slip Kid would be lucky to have us."

"E.D.O.," was the only thing that came out of his hypnotized self.

Luce paid attention to what happened. Bingo, she thought to herself, an Orange.

"Wait, what?" The brunette couldn't believe what was exposed. "Dude, that is not cool!"

"What's E.D.O.?" She asked him as he phased out and returned to normal.

"That's all you get. E.D.O."

§§§

In the tent, Ruby quietly read to Zu to get her to fall to sleep, "'All the world will be your enemy. Prince with a thousand enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you, but first, they must catch you. Digger, listener, runner. Prince with a swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.'" She looked over at her and noticed she was still awake. "Go to sleep," she whispered to her.