Dark Sun

"Mama, Mama! Look, Mama." Stubby fingers pointed at the cloud of dust traveling east toward them from across the desert.

     "What is it, little Dark Sun?"

     "Mûmakil, Mama, Mûmakil are coming."

     "Run and get your sister and father, Dark Sun, maybe we will see a little Mûmakil." She watched her Dark Sun, Nyesjua, dash around a large tree and into their home to fetch Uzuri. His high, child's voice rang in the dry air as he shouted "Uzu'i, Uzu'i" and "Baba, Baba" frantically. Nyesjua loved the Mûmakil and feared them not. The tribe knew him to approach the massive creatures without hesitation, giving many fright enough to faint away. He oft exclaimed his wish to be a herder of the Mûmakil. No reprimand from his father dampened that desire. Even now, she heard stern words coming from her beloved, even as he followed Nyesjua outside with Uzuri trailing behind them.

     "Baba, see? See the Mûmakil," Nyesjua said, pushing himself up on his toes as if to see over the horizon. By then, hearing Nyesjua's excitement, much of the tribe gathered around them to watch the herd approach from the west. The setting sun glowed orange in the dust they kicked up.

     An awed silence fell over the crowd gathered at the edge of the jungle. The Mûmakil migrations had begun. This would be the first herd they would see returning to the jungle to escape the desert summers and burning sun for the cool, protective shade of Far Harad's jungles. Every year dozens of herds traveled hundreds of miles to the center of the desert to form one massive herd. No one knew why for sure, but some said that wherever they gathered was holy ground, for flocks of birds, and other animals would also travel there. No one had traveled there. The middle desert was too dangerous.

     Nyesjua's short hand slipped into hers. "Mama, I'm going to go with them some day. I will ride on their backs and lay in the sun while they take me."

     "You will burn up like a little leaf in the sun if you do that, Dark Sun," she replied with a sinking heart when she saw the conviction in his round face.

~~~

     "Mama?" came Nyesjua's voice over the sound of frying rabbit. Her little Dark Sun's clear voice never failed to bring a smile to her face. He sat beside her, long, thin legs folding in half. His brown hands twisted a piece of leather nervously.

     "What is it, my Dark Sun?" she asked, taking her eyes off their dinner and the fusing newborn baby by her side and looking at her son. Nyesjua reached over and picked up his sister, Mwezi. He left her play with and suck on his fingers.

     "Baba says the Mûmakil herders will come tomorrow. He says it is all right if I go see them."

     "If your father says you may, then you may."

     Nyesjua pulled his forefinger out of Mwezi's small mouth. She cried pitifully, quieting only when he let her continue gumming his fingers.

     "I wanted to ask you if I may go see them tomorrow. May I?" he asked. She looked down with a soft sigh he couldn't hear.

     "If you wish to see them so much, I will let you, but-" she wagged her finger before his delicate nose, "you must come back for meals else you shan't have anything."

     Nyesjua grinned widely and nodded. His dark hair fell into his eyes.

     "I will, Mama."

     "Now, go fetch your father and little brother for dinner," she said taking Mwezi back.

     "What about Uzuri?"