Love at Opening Set (Marching Band AU)

Start from the beginning

Just by chance, my friends and I had all been placed on the "villain's" side--Toga on flute, Magne in drumline, Jin on trombone, Sako on clarinet, Spinner on tenor sax, and me on trumpet.

About halfway through practice, the wind picked up(if that was even possible), and even I had trouble controlling where I was going, despite the fact that I had no long hair to get in my face or flag to move against the wind. We were in the middle of our second song when suddenly, a flag hit me square in the back of my head. I lowered my trumpet and turned around to see who had thrown it.

"I'm so sorry!" called Tomura, running to get his flag which had rolled up neatly beside me. He reached down to grab it but when he stood up, we locked eyes.

"A-are you alright?" he asked, staring up at me with his bright red eyes. His blue hair was windblown but it still managed to drape gracefully around his face, highlighting his pale skin. He was wearing exercise shorts and a tight shirt, which perfectly outlined the muscles which he had built up from tossing around flags three days a week for the past three months. The longer I stared at him, the more flustered I got, and by time I opened my mouth to respond, no words seemed to come out.

"Sorry if I hurt you," he muttered, breaking eye contact and returning to the show.

I couldn't stop thinking about him for the rest of practice. No matter how hard I tried, my mind came back to him--his glistening red eyes, the sweat running down his cheeks, the genuine look of concern plastered onto his face. And his lips--they were chapped and cracked but also soft and pink, a perfect contrast with his blue hair. I wanted to run over to him right then and there and touch those lips, run my fingers against them softly, kiss them until he was left breathless.

Stop this, I scolded myself, He probably doesn't even know your name. But try as I might, I couldn't get those lips out of my head.

~Time Skip~

After practice I was walking back to the bandroom to put my instrument away, when I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see who it was.

"Dabi!" yelled Tomura, running up to meet me. He was carrying two flags and a rifle (wooden) in his arms. My heart leapt at the thought of him coming over to talk to me.

"Careful," I said, "You don't want to hit me again."

"Oh, you're right. Sorry," he said quickly, shifting his equitment so the ends of his flag poles were facing away from my head "That's actually what I came here for. To apologize to you properly."

My heart sank. Stupid Dabi, I thought, Of course he wouldn't be talking to you just for the sake of it. "Uh--no!" I stuttered finally, "It's totally fine. These kinds of things happen."

I began to walk away, sure that Tomura had better things to do than talk to me.

"Wait!" he called after me. I turned around to face him, confused about his intentions. "I've seen you around a lot lately and I was wondering--" he paused-- "If you...wanted to hang out sometime?"

The request was simple, and purely platonic, for Tomura anyways. But I knew that once I became friends with him it would be a lot harder to ask him out, especially with my friend group telling him all of my embarrassing stories.

"Actually I..." I started cautiously, doubt still heavy in my chest.

I swallowed. I could do this.

"...I was thinking, do you want to go out with me?" I said finally.

"Like, on a date?" Tomura asked.

I nodded. He pondered the question for only a second, bt that second felt like an eternity.

"Sure!" he replied cheerfully, smiling at me sweetly, "At 6 o'clock this Saturday, 'kay? You have a car, right? Pick me up at my house and we can plan things from there!" Another colorguard member (Uraraka was her name--I think) motioned to Tomura and he nodded. "I have to go but I'll see you then!" he said, pressing a quick kiss to my cheek and running towards the guard closet. I stood frozen in the middle of the hallway, my hand pressed against the spot where Tomura's lips had been only moments before.

"Well it looks like someone's got a date!" said Toga, appearing literally out of nowhere.

"Augh!" I jumped back in surprise, "Jeez Toga," I snapped, "Where the hell did you even come from?"

"I was watching the whole time," she said, shrugging, "For Mr. 'I'm not gonna ask him out' things turned out pretty well, hmm?"

"Wait...did you set us up?" I asked her, knowing that was certainly something she would do.

"Maybe..." she said, trailing off. I frowned at her, slightly annoyed by her meddling but secretly grateful as well.

"Now you have to help me ask out Izuku from the clarinet section!" she said cheerfully. Of course, Toga's help always came with a price.

"But Toga, I think he's already dating Shoto Todoroki," I said.

She slumped her shoulders and sighed.

"Or Katsuki Bakugou, you can never really tell," I added quickly.

"They aren't in Band, so they don't count," she said, turning to walk to the band room.

"Wait up!" I called, picking up my pace to meet her.

"What is it?" she asked, rolling her eyes.

"Do you, by any chance, know Tomura Shigaraki's address?"

-fin-