One More Time

"I hope this thing is on. I still don't know how to work it properly." *THUMP THUMPTHUMP THU-THUMPTHUMP* *BREATHING INTO THE MICROPHONE*

"Here we go...
Some would say what I did was wrong. I don't care. It was what I had to do. It needed to be done. Things never work out like the story in a book or the plot of a movie. Happy endings aren't real. Even if they were you could never tell if they were the end. Most tales end with the hero getting his revenge or his prize at the end. Not this one. This is a story of pure non-fiction. This is real. The following are extracts from my journal which I will read to you now. "

12th January
This is the first time I have tried to do a journal. I figured I would see how long I could stick with it. That's why I started this as close to the new year as possible. I just moved into the new house. It's rather big to be all to myself but when the price is right then I can't argue. There are still some boxes left in here from the last occupants but I was assured that they would be picked up later.

13th January
It was cold last night. I barely slept. The house made creaking noises all night and the back door seems busted. It doesn't shut properly. I could just be paranoid. There's not much to report today. I met a neighbour or two as I unloaded the last of my boxes into the house. The neighbour (I forget his name) helped me carry a few to the door but seemed hesitant to go in. He seemed well mannered so I guess he didn't want to intrude. I should have invited him in now that I think of it.

14th January
I haven't got the drive or the energy to go out. I prefer to stay in on my own. No one has come to collect the boxes yet either. I can hear the music from next door. Why would you throw a party tonight? It's a Wednesday. Some people have work tomorrow. Not me though. I haven't started the search yet.

15th January
It's my friend's birthday today. I sent him a happy birthday e-mail. I feel a little stupid writing in a journal. If anyone came across these I could come across as some sort of crazy hermit. Last night there was more banging and creaking in the house. At least I think it was. Probably the neighbour throwing bottle or something.

16th January
There was a strange noise in the room with the boxes this morning. I went in there and saw a box had spilled over and the window was open. It could have been a possum or something. At least I hope it was. I am going to fix it tomorrow when I have more time.

17th January
I know this will sound crazy but the neighbour just came to my door and asked me if I was walking around his house last night. Obviously I wasn't. I had trouble sleeping but I didn't leave the house. I just walked around and started to alphabetize my books and DVDs. I fixed the banging door and the window today too. I feel accomplished.

18th January
The banging happened again last night. I got up to search for its source but found nothing. It's as if it was in the walls. I will call an electrician or something tomorrow to deal with it. I hope I can find one.

19th January
The electrician has just left. He said that old houses like this are a problem to get into as the walls could contain harmful things. That didn't ease me at all. I suppose I will get used to it. The strange thing is that the banging seems to have taken on a rhythmic sort of beat now.
*thump thumpthump thu-thumpthump* That's the best way to describe it.

20th January
I started making a tune with the thumping last night. I would repeat what I heard back by tapping the walls after it thumped. I was oddly amused by this. I suppose it won't bother me as much now that I am learning to accept it as a part of the house.

21st January
The boxes still hadn't been taken away yet. I would have thought someone would have come by and taken them by now. I might have a sneak peek into them and see what's in there. The neighbour also stopped by and handed me a piece of paper. He looked nervous as he did and didn't say anything as he handed it over. He just held it out, looked into my eyes and when I took it he left.
It said "Get out!" written on it. I wasn't sure if this was a prank or not but he always did seem odd. Well, ever since the night he thought I was walking around outside.