Balancing the Scales

Ed was quiet, on the ride to Helltem. He gave no mention of what had happened between us, the aftermath I had swept up with kind phrases and even softer touches. I had tried my best, my words inside quiet touches of the hand. Symbols, messages I could only hope to transmit, keeping us both upright.

He glanced to me, hand still positioned at his jaw. Golden eyes glancing away from blurred trees and hiking pathways. When he glanced, I thought I saw.... Maybe a glimmer of...
A plea?

I didn't know what to do, thinking that. As if he would need my help at all, with anything. But with the situation we were in, with the consequences at our throats... Maybe his blade needed sharpening, maybe the metal was a bit rusted.

But who was I to help?

What did I have to give?

I thought about room 403, the hotel room we had stayed at while Al was being questioned. The window seat background'd by a bird's nest and plenty of light.

I could stay statue still, and my existence stopped there.

_____________

After an afternoon and evening of library research, we retired at a small inn. Two beds and a couch separated by a wall. Except Al was right in front of us, right outside the window as Ed and I stepped through the doorway of the bedroom.

Fireflies floated outside, bobbing up and down with light fading in and out.

"They're in my suit!" Al giggled, and I saw the slow flash traveling in the space between his helmet and body. "What're you doing, little fireflies? Get outta there..."

Ed smiled, a soft expression that bled onto my face as well. He stopped at the right bed, stepping out of his boots as he spoke.

"Seems like they like you, Al!"

Looking over at Edward, I hid my smile with a hand, barely able to conceal my laughter. My eyes, however, were watering from the sheer amusement. How could I have not noticed before?

"Your boots add so much height!" I exclaimed, doubling over with my arms across my stomach. "And here I was worried about how tall you were!"

A laugh tsked out of Ed, and I looked up to see him quietly chuckling as well, arms wrapped around himself. He met my smiling gaze with a grin of his own, and laughter bubbled into his next words.

"What"—he crouched down a little, bending his knees until he was as tall as I was again. He instantly shuffled forward, arm bent out to the side—"Do you want me to walk like this so we're the same height again?"

I almost laughed "normally", having to clap my hand against my mouth. I instantly shook my head, closing my eyes so I wouldn't have to see him waddle like that.

Ed laughed again, and I heard his foot slide back as he straightened. Taking that as my cue for safety, I opened my eyes. He was smiling still, and as soon as I looked towards him, he averted his stare, a small blush on his face.

He cleared his throat, bringing my attention to his gloved hand. "Yeah," he said, the word chitting from his teeth, "maybe you'll finally stop talking about it now."

One corner of my mouth curved upwards; a smile I just couldn't hide. "Maybe I will."

Ed glanced at me as he turned towards the foot of his bed, a smile growing on his face as well, as he shook his hair out with a hand. I stared, watching the tips get a few inches past his mid-back, reaching out towards his lower. I had no idea how long it actually was.

Ed noticed me staring, turning around and meeting my eyes. I jumped a little, immediately apologizing with one hand out. The small blush on his face grew a bit more pink, and he smiled.