Chapter 40

I wonder if anyone outside of my body can hear the pounding of my heart. The noise is so loud in my ears, I feel like Daniel should be able to hear it. It seems to increase in pace the closer our limo gets to the front of the queue. Who knew you had to literally sit amongst rows of other limos until it was your turn to step out onto the red carpet?

Daniel bounces his right leg up and down repeatedly, and has done so since we stopped moving. I watch as he bites the inside of his thumb. My heart swells with love for him as I study his nervous expression, knowing that as soon as we step out of this car, the mask will fall seamlessly across his face and the world will believe that he doesn't have a care in the world.

I reach across to pull his thumb away from his teeth when I see that he is close to breaking the skin. The motion brings him back to the present. He smiles at me as I continue to hold his hand in mine. I understand the way his lips tremble.

"We're next, Daniel." Lawrence states over the speaker.

"We've liaised with the private security here, and the rest of the team are already in place. If anyone tries anything, we will stop them." Detective Phillips says calmly. "Try to enjoy tonight, and good luck."

"Thank you." Daniel says before taking a shaky breath. "You sure you're ready for this?" He asks me quietly.

"No... but here goes nothing!" I mumble as the door is opened.

As soon as the car door opens, I watch Detective Phillips and Rhys jump out to take their positions. Daniel steps out and straightens his jacket. I watch his face transform into a sophisticated and carefree movie star. He waves at the screaming crowd before turning to hold out his hand for me. I take it without hesitation and thankfully feel a mask of my own fall into place too. From the outside I make sure that I look as though I'm just as comfortable as Daniel.

The cameras blind me immediately, the flashes lighting up the night sky like the crescendo of a fireworks display. I blink a few times to adjust my eyes to the continual assault just before Daniel begins to lead me towards the red carpet.

Photographers mainly shout Daniel's name to get him to look at them, but surprisingly a few also shout for me. A woman in a black floor length dress is assigned to us, and guides us to where to stand first. The barrage of light then blinds me again, but somehow I manage to keep the smile on my face. Daniel squeezes my hand reassuringly as he smiles at the hundreds of cameras.

"Try to sweep your eyes left to right as you smile, that was you're bound to keep them all happy." He shouts over the furore into my ear. I do as I am told, feeling as though I'm having an outer body experience.

"Can I kiss you?" He asks while he keeps his grin in place. I turn to look up at him, nodding immediately. He slowly leans down to press a kiss to my lips, making the photographers go crazy. The clicks of the cameras are almost deafening. We both then laugh at the ridiculousness of it all, before Daniel releases my hand. I then feel him place his hand firmly around my waist, holding me securely in place.

The same woman then guides Daniel through the area where the press are waiting. We make our way up the line of reporters and Daniel answers all of the questions thrown at him with his usual playfulness. He effortlessly ensures he gives his full attention to each reporter. I stand to his side and listen to what he says, making sure I laugh in all of the right places. Daniel compliments me at every opportunity, which although it makes me feel uncomfortable, I try to ensure my replies are light-hearted... after all, I asked for this!

"So, Daniel. How are things with the whole stalker situation?" The final reporter asks candidly.

"It's being dealt with." He responds curtly.