Ch. 5: Luke, Annabeth, and the Spaghetti Poison

"So, explain to me why you can't come in again?" I sighed and tried to ignore the throbbing pain in my head that seemed to grow more and more intense the longer the wound went without being properly treated. My head throbbed and the seedling pain on my cheek seemed to be spreading to my brain, engulfing it in a low flame.

Cherrie sighed and handed me the last bag. We were parked in front of a woodsy camp that had a big sign written in Greek. I watched in awe as the words seemed to lift off of the wood and jumble together to create a whole new phrase. 'Welcome All Half-Bloods.' 

"The reason is I'm not a mythical creature, or related to the gods in any way. Only people who need protection are able to access the premises of the Camp -- it's enchanted." Cherrie looked over her shoulder once more, it seemed as if she has been doing this constantly. "Now hurry up, before something shows up to stop you." She pushed me towards the entrance.

Sighing, I pulled on my backpack and walked a couple of paces when I noticed the sound of light panting. Slowly I looked down at my feet and saw Orion pacing around my legs, following me. "Orion, go back to Cherrie. You can't come with me." I reached down and gave him a pat. Orion did as I asked.

"Good boy," I praised him, then started walking to the camp once more, feebly attempting to ignore the dull flame in my skull. This time, a small nudge on the back of my leg caused me to stop. Turning on my heel, I watched Orion follow me once more. "Orion, what are you doing?" I sighed.

Cherrie's laughter echoed from behind me. "He's loyal to you. I really doubt you'll be able to get rid of him now. You did save his life."

Bending down, I picked Orion up off of the forest floor, cradling the puppy in my arms. "Do you think they will allow him in there?" 

"They don't have a policy against puppies, if that's what you mean," Cherrie nodded. "I'm sure they will let you keep him. It's not like you do much there anyway."

Nodding, I put Orion back on the ground and let him follow me. "Hey, Cherrie? Thanks for everything," I said. I realized then that I hadn't thanked Cherrie for doing everything she had done. I was still a bit skeptical about the whole 'gods' theory, but she had kept me safe, and for that I was grateful.

Cherrie returned my smile and nodded. "You're welcome."

I refused to think about how this might be the last I ever see her again, but instead ran through the invisible barrier. The aching in my brain intensified and throbbed, making my head feel as if my very brains were melting.

Falling to my knees, I bit back a scream, my teeth digging into the fleshy base of my bottom lip. I could practically feel the Fury's claws ripping through my skin again and again, over and over. With every faint sensation, a new wave of heat licked at my brain. I could feel sweat pebble my brow as I stumbled onto my feet once more. Orion started nudging me with his snout as if to ask what was wrong.

Wiping the back of my hand on my brow, I recoiled from my burning flesh. I was running an extreme fever; it was taking over. I stumbled against a thick tree and doubled over as my world spun, vomiting into the brush with a wave of nausea. 

The pain continued to grow until my vision started to darken, and I felt myself losing my footing. "Hey, are you okay?" I heard a muffled voice call out to me before I blacked out completely though I saw his golden hair and concerned blue eyes.

My dreams were strange.

In them, I was staring up at the sky. It was a brilliant blue and the sun beamed down on my skin, as if caressing me softly. Nestled in the clouds was a symbol, a winged staff with two snakes wrapped around it, glistening in the sun.