Prologue

"What is it?"

"I'll tell you in a second."

One second later . . . "What is it?"

The Alchemist laughed, looking up from the metal box she was working on and grinning at her friend, the Master. "I call it the Moment," she replied with a smile. "I'm doing what the Elders tell me to do. Let my instincts lead me."

"The first Creator in the mid twenties," the Master noted.

The Alchemist beamed. "A title I love to have."

"You know, you should meet the Doctor some time," the Master told her as she adjusted a few of the screws. "You'd get along well."

The Alchemist snorted loudly. "The Doctor?" she repeated before laughing. "I've heard about the two of you. Always the Doctor and the Master, the Master and the Doctor. Really, it's incredible you're still - " She broke off when the gears in the Moment began to turn. "What in blazes?"

The Master put his hand on her arm and pulled her back as the gears spun faster and faster. "What did you make?" he asked.

"I don't know!"

Alarms began wailing, and a few Time Lords ran in. "Alchemist," one of them began before he saw the Moment, a fiery haze surrounding it. His eyes widened. "All Elders to the Alchemist's workshop," he called. "All Elders to the Alchemist's workshop!"

***

The Master tapped his foot anxiously, waiting for the Alchemist to exit the head Elder's office. She'd already been in there for over an hour. He promised he'd wait for her, and so wait he did.

He didn't expect her to come out looking like her best friend had died. "What is it?" he asked, walking over to her quickly. "What did they say?"

"The Moment has been secured in the highest security vault," she replied hoarsely.

"Why?"

"I didn't just create an invention, Master," the Alchemist replied.

"Well, then, what did you create?" It couldn't have been that bad, could it?

His eyes widened in shock when it was indeed bad what she said.

"The Moment can create a Time Lock."

***

Centuries Later

Six regenerations later, the Seventh Alchemist ran through the line of Time Lords, running to get to the vaults as fast as she could, her blonde hair knotted and tangled. She'd had a message from the Elders a while ago that said her own creation had been stolen by her friend's former best friend, the Doctor. She put on an added burst of speed -

"Emergency temporal shift!"

She screamed when she rammed into a Dalek, caught in the middle of a teleportation. She clung on with all her might as she felt the ground get wrenched from underneath her, the two of them headed who knew where.

She only knew she heard startled shouts when they landed before she was knocked unconscious, barely seeing orange regeneration energy ripple across her hands before her eyes closed.

***

And the Alchemist knew the Master when she was younger as well! :) The Alchemist during the Time War off to the side. I picture her like Maggie Grace. Also, for the Eighth Alchemist, we'll get Anna Paquin, and for the Ninth . . . well, you can see the cast list. ;)

I'll get "Dalek" up as soon as I can!