truth

"What?"

Time seems to slow, you can hear the blood rushing in your ears as your heart pounds frantically, utterly confused. What did he mean by he didn't lie? Seonghwa's whole family got hanged on false charges, and he had the gall to deny the truth?

Lucio Bartholomew's smile is sad as he answers Seonghwa.

"Your parents were not hung on false charges, Hwaseong."

If you were shocked, Seonghwa is utterly destroyed. You can see his pupils dilating in shock, almost swallowing the soft grey of his irises. Stumbling backwards until Wooyoung catches him by the arm, he stares at the official, mouth opening and closing soundlessly.

"You're lying. They were the kindest people I'd ever known, the only blade my father had held his whole life was a kitchen knife. Don't lie to me."

Trembling, Seonghwa shakes his head desperately and buries his face in Wooyoung's shoulder, as if doing that will change the truth. But Lucio Bartholomew does not lie. You can feel the genuine honesty in every word he says down to your very bones, and maybe that is what scares you the most.

"When I visited your parents in the eatery, I had an ulterior motive, you know?" Lucio says softly, staring at Seonghwa. The cook refuses to look at him, one of Wooyoung's arms coming up to wrap around Seonghwa protectively as he glares down the official with venomous eyes that you hope are never aimed at you. "I had found out some information about them, so I went to investigate that. Did you know, Seonghwa?"

"Know what?" Seonghwa snaps, still unable to completely believe that Lucio Bartholomew is lying. The official looks at him seriously.

"Your parents were pirates, Seonghwa."

The words have the impact of a punch, every wisp of air knocked from his lungs as the statement bounces around in his skull. They seem to have taken Seonghwa's ability to speak as well, because he simply stares at the man in utter disbelief and shock.

"What?" The words slip past your lips. Lucio smiles at you, a little sadly. He holds a book in front of you, pages slightly yellowed with age. It's a book of records, you realise, as you lean in to make out the writing on the paper.

Park Seonho and Eun Jung, pirates, to be hanged for theft, instances of piracy and betrayal of the Crown. Wanted for the murder of 57 people, the prominent of which was Levi Bastiville, former Commander of the Royal Navy Red Rose Fleet and his wife, which left their only son an orphan.

Seonghwa's parents were pirates.

Pirates, who the Royal Navy had every right to execute.

Pirates charged with the murder of a married couple.

Pirates who had caused a young boy to grow up completely alone, devoid of any paternal love.

"You met him, didn't you?" Lucio sighs, almost wistfully as he turns to Seonghwa. There's something mournful in his eyes as he sets the book down. "He was the one who almost arrested all of you."

Levi Bastiville's son.

Leon Bastiville.

A shiver runs up your spine at the thought of the man, goosebumps racing over your skin as you felt the gun at your head once more, the way his fingers dug at your throat, the sheer lunacy in his eyes, the sadistic smile on his face as your captain had been whipped half to death in front of him.

And yet, Seonghwa could understand him now.

"He was left alone, completely without extended family. The orphanage took him in, but the other children bullied him for having come from a rich family." Lucio tells you quietly, and you can see Wooyoung's knuckles turn white. "He didn't have the same sort of support and family you did on board the Treasure and he grew up twisted and sadistic, into the man you saw that day."