•2• Rebecca Johnson

"Are you serious? She asked if you and Luke had a 'thing'?" Avery asks in disbelief.

"Yup." I say and move forward in the lunch line. I was kind of bummed because I didn't have any money to go get McDonald's for lunch.

"What did you say?" Avery asks.

"I said no, of course! Anyway, how come you didn't tell me about the gossip of me and Luke?" I ask quizzically.

"Well, I knew it wasn't true and you would probably freak or something." Avery says.

"Well, I didn't when Heather told me." I point out.

Avery agreed silently.

We grab our lunch trays and head over to an empty table in the cafeteria. We usually sit in the corner so we can look over the whole cafeteria. Somehow my eyes immediately find Luke.

And Heather.

Heather sits on Luke's lap and they are laughing at something. Then they kiss. Like, not just a quick peck on the lips. No, it shouldn't even be called a kiss, more like a full blown make out session, right in the middle of the cafeteria.

"Lilly, are you okay?" Avery asks me. "You look pale."

"I think I'm going to be sick."

~*~*~*~

"Lilly!" my mom says, shocked when I walk through the door. "Why are you home so early? What happened?"

Leather happened, is what I wanted to say.

"I got sick-" I barely finish my sentence and she's already dabbing my forehead with a cold washcloth.

"Oh, hun, do you have a fever?" she asks.

"Mom, I just need some rest, that's all." I push the cloth away from my head.

"Oh! Okay, um. I'll check on you later then." Mom says. I nod in agreement, letting her know that's okay.

I walk up to my bedroom and plop down on my bed.

"Okay," I talk to myself. "You really need to rest. Quit thinking."

The problem is, I can't quit thinking. How could I be sick just by looking at a pair of lovebirds? I mean, that's weird. It could've been the food, if I actually ate anything. Maybe it was breakfast, or the fact that I didn't eat anything since dinner last night.

That's it. I need to eat something.

"Mom!" I yell and head downstairs. "Can you make me some soup, please?"

"Sure." she says and gets out the box of chicken noodle soup as I make my way into the kitchen.

A few minutes later I get my soup and I sit at the table to eat it. My phone vibrates in my back pocket. I take it out to see a text from Avery.

From Avery:

Hey, I'm coming to your house after school to check on you, 'kay?

I unlock my phone to text her back.

To Avery:

'Kay.

I finish my soup and put the bowl in the dishwasher. I walk back up to my room and get the homework out of my bag I had gotten from the classes I went to today.

~*~*~*~

There's a knock on the front door downstairs. I hear my mom answer it and tell Avery I'm upstairs in my room.

"Hey, sickie. Do I need a mask or something?" Avery asks when she enters my room.

"No, I just needed to eat something." I tell her.

"What? You could've done that in school but instead you left me with a bunch of idiots that don't know the difference between their butt and a hole in the ground!" Avery says disappointed. I giggle at how true that might be.

"Sorry." I say it even though I don't exactly mean it. "So what happened after I left?"

"Well..." Avery starts slowly. When she does that I know she must have a whole story instead of just, "nothing much". Avery starts her story of the afternoon. "When I was walking to my classes I'd always see Luke and Heather just, like, making out in the middle of the friggin hallway. They just started dating too, it's kind of like, 'ever heard of taking it slow?' I swear Luke is something else. I knew he would probably do something like that, but Heather? I thought she would know better! Oh! And when I was walking to sixth hour Luke came up to me and asked where you were. He said he wanted to ask you about the project you two are doing together." Avery pauses. "You're doing a project with him?"

"Not for long. Mrs. Kennedy said she would see what she can do so I can work alone." I inform.

"Oh." Avery looks out my window. Then down at the homework splayed across my bed. "This is how you spend your afternoon off?"

I shrug.

"I am very disappointed in you, Lilly. Haven't I taught you anything?" Avery asks.

"No, actually you haven't." I point out.

"Oh, right." Avery says. "Well Jared finally has a girlfriend now."

"Isn't he captain of the chess team?" I ask and Avery nods. "Who's the girl that decided to date him?"

"Rebecca Johnson."

"Are you serious?" I ask in disbelief. Rebecca Johnson is one of the "hottest" girls in school and completely hates everyone, literally.

"Yup. I suspect he will be changing soon. Bye, bye chess." Avery says, closing and opening her hand at the wall.

"She's probably doing it to get Luke back." I say.

"Yeah. She's an idiot though. She has to let him go, they've been on and off since 10th Year." Avery says.

I nod. I hate Rebecca, almost as much as I hate Luke. Maybe a little more. But that's only because we used to be friends and ever since we stopped being friends she'd just be a total bitch towards me like I did something wrong when it was her that talked behind my back.

"God, I hate her." I breathe.