Chapter Twenty-Three (Amneris)

Darkness gathered around the sandstone palace, slowly approaching as it had so many years ago. She gave her other half a sidelong glance as they stood on the stone porch. A part of her knew he would not make it. A part of her had suspected it for a long time now. But, now, she knew how this story would end. Had seen it end before, all those years ago.

Even so, each time that man thrust his sword into her twin . . . She did not know how much longer she could bear to watch the events of her past unfold over and over again. Once was enough. She had lost count of how many times this scene had played in her mind. Each time it ended the same way, with ruby blood dripping into the golden sands.

It did not matter that she knew it was coming.

Every time, she tried something new to save him. Something she had never tried before. It did not matter what she did. It always ended the same way. The Dark King would kill him, and she would become lost in rage and despair. She would shift into her godly form before changing into nothing but pure energy. She had no control over her actions – did not want control – as she blasted him outside of the multiverse. Into the darkness between the worlds.

Her power would be depleted.

She would fall to her knees.

She would cry.

She would slam her fits into the sands over and over again, until gold bled from them.

She would roar to the sky.

It was an endless cycle. Her own punishment for her actions.

She would stand there and watch each time, frozen where she stood as that man murdered him over and over again.

There was nothing she could do.

It was her own Hell.

And she deserved it.