Chapter Fourteen : Center of Attention

Monday

Gossips spread like wildfire. And the next thing I know, I'm already the "talk of the town".

As I walk inside the school's hallway I noticed that the students kept on casting hateful stares at me while some others with disbelief. They shook their heads after throwing glances at me as if saying I just did a horrendous thing. I also noticed the nerds look at me like today's my judgment day. I don't know what is going on. I just kept on walking.

It was not until I saw Bom and CL in the lockers and the latter grabbed me and pulled me to a corner.

"What the hell has gotten into you, Arya?!" CL whispered with gritted teeth. I looked at her and Bom who kept on looking left and right like she's watching out for something or someone. Even these two are making me confused.

"I don't know what you're talking about, CL." I answered and shook my head. "And what's with you, Bom?" I asked my other friend who looked alert.

The two of them looked at me incredulously and afterwards at each other.

"She doesn't know." Bom told CL.

"How can you say she doesn't know when she's the one involved?!" CL barked at her.

"But look at her. She's totally clueless about what's happening." Bom answered back.

"Uh, guys? I'm still here. I could hear you. Could you please tell me what's going on?" I butted in. Both of them looked at me like I just suddenly popped up in front of them. "Well?" I asked.

"Oh for Pete's sake! Bom, tell her." CL told Bom looking a bit unconvinced.

"There's a rumor spreading like a freaking virus and it's about you and Jaejoong. The two of you were seen last Friday leaving the school riding his motor bike." Bom told me with worried eyes. "Rumors also say that you and Jaejoong hooked up or something after school.."

"Is it true?!" CL asked me a little loudly.

I scoffed. "So that's what this is all about." I clenched my jaw.

"So it's true." CL looked at me and let out an exasperated breath. "God, Arya. Look at what you've gotten yourself into."

"I don't see what the fuss is all about. Jaejoong just offered me a ride home. Nothing more than that." I explained.

"Say what you wanna say, but people here believe everything they hear. You don't have a single idea how one gossip could destroy your reputation in this school." CL told me looking dismayed.

"That's funny 'coz to be honest, I really don't give a single shit. I didn't do anything wrong. I know in myself I didn't." I told them both.

"But you now have Gyuri's attention, Arya.." Bom whispered and looked at CL who's now massaging her temples. "What do we do now, Chaerin?" She asked worriedly.

"I can take care of myself guys. If you don't want to get caught in the middle it's fine with me. It's okay for you to leave me. I can handle this myself. As long as you guys are with me you're not safe." I told them.

Bom looked at me with disapproval in her eyes and shook her head. "No, Arya. We can't just leave you by yourself."

"Bom's right." CL chimed in. She looked a bit calm now. "We won't leave you alone. And that's the game plan." She told me. "They cannot touch you as long as you're with me. The students here are afraid of me, and as long as I keep you company Gyuri's under dogs and even herself cannot do anything to you."

"But CL--"

"No but's, Arya." CL cut me off. "You need us." Bom nodded in agreement.

I sighed heavily. "This is way too much. Whoever started this will pay."

"We cannot do anything about it now, all we have to do is stick together and keep it cool. We should stay out of their sights as much as possible. And most especially, you really gotta stay away from Jaejoong from now on. And I really mean it. Don't give Gyuri a reason or a proof that the rumors were true."

"But it really wasn't true!" I exclaimed.

"Aish! Ottokhae.." CL mumbled. "We may believe what you say but you can't expect the others to believe you."

"Then I have to talk to Jaejoong and let him tell Gyuri about what really happened that day."

"But Gyuri is always with Jaejoong right now. She's like, guarding him.." Bom told me.

"Aigoo. You are so hardheaded. Not even thinking.." CL had her fingers massage her temples once more.

"Fine." I blurted out. I really hate this day. Most especially the stupid dork who started this crazy rumor.

"Don't worry, no one can harm you. And try to listen to me this time okay? Stop having any contact with Jaejoong." CL reiterated.

"I will." I answered. I'm getting really fed up with this.

Bom held my shoulder and squeezed it. "We're just here." She smiled at me wholeheartedly and it gave me a sense of calm. Bom could really melt someone with her smile.

"C'mon, first period's about to start. We'll talk about this later." CL told us then fixed her attention towards me, "Don't mind other people. Just walk straight and held your head up high. We'll get through this."

Damn right we will.