Chapter FOUR

Chapter FOUR

______________________

When I walked into the house my mother was waiting, giving me a disapproving look as I was minutes late.

"I know, I know." I sighed as I ran up the stairs, dropping my school bag on the bed before grabbing my potion book and my purse, which carried the appropriate form of payment. The portal was only open in our house once a month, due to all the little kids running around, my mother worried that some of the kids would sneak away when she wasn't watching. And getting into trouble in the other dimension was not something anyone wanted.

As I approached the door in the kitchen, I smiled at my mother while passing her through the doorway. "Be safe." She warned me.

The shimmer of the disturbance in the air caused a homey feeling to swell in my heart. Something about being with others of my kind had me feeling like this was entirely right. I stepped carefully through the portal, a tingling sensation running through my body as I passed to the other side.

"Welcome," A squat little witch smiled, handing me a ticket and a basket. "The specials are marked, we are also having a sale on crystal balls."

"Thanks." I returned the smile and walked further into the market. I knew this dimension was more than the market, but I was never allowed anywhere else but here. What with my mother requesting the opening of the portal here and all.

The market was longer than it was width wise, tons of stalls lined the walls with shops selling tons of magical products. A broomstick shop was one of the first stalls and I saw the brooms hovering mid-air as they waited to be purchased. My mother would never let me have one, something about not being appropriate for our world.

Signs flashed sales as I passed and I stopped at the bookstore, where books were flying around as the shopkeep was clean up and rearranging the books them on the shelves. I smiled and approached the balding man, "Hey Mr. Simon, Bailey around?"

Mr. Simon looked up in surprise and let a grin cross his face, his eyes crinkling with happiness. "Oh Lily, has it been a month already? Time moves so fast these days." He shook his head, "He's been waiting for you."

"Dad." Bailey appeared beside him, giving his father a warning look before he grinned at me, "Ready to shop?"

"Yeah, I need help finding the mermaid scales for the love potion." I shrugged, "I've never used those yet so I'm not sure where to find them."

"I'll show you, be back soon dad." Bailey laughed before leading me down the crowded lane. Bailey was a wizard and a year old than I was so he'd already received his wizard license. He helped me when Mae was busy, he was one of my best friends here.

"Can't believe it's been a month since I've seen you." Bailey shook his head, "And now you're seventeen. Happy Birthday by the way." He smirked over his shoulder, his blue eyes finding mine in the madness.

I laughed, "Thanks Bay."

A miniature dragon breathed fire over our heads and a crowd of children cheered as I ducked to avoid the flames. "Only seventy Sunbeams for your own little monster." I heard the dragon tamer call out as we passed.

"Seventy sunbeams?" I laughed to Bailey who was smirking as well, "Who here has Seventy Sunbeams? I've only ever seen one in my entire life."

"I'm surprised he stays in business." Bailey agreed before stopping in front of a small stand, "This is where you'll get most of the sea ingredients. Since Mermaids are the epitome of grace and beauty, they are used in love potions to help the person fall in love." He told me, gesturing to the rainbow scales that glittered in the sunlight. "What does the recipe call for again? Five?"