Babala: Maghanda Ng Dictionary (A Piece Of My Mind On The "Bibingka" Solution)

I don’t know if you guys are aware but on the August 20, 2014 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer an article written by Isabel Pefianco Martin, Resty M. Cena, and Ricardo Ma. Nolasco entitled Language-in-Education Row: A ‘Bibingka’ Solution was posted and almost immediately it sent uproars of different opinions on the academe to the point that even in our class discussion it was tackled.

The article embarked upon the results of a study on “Understanding Best Practices in Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education in (MTB-MLE) in the Philippines” and the problems that will be encountered in implementing such reform in the educational system. The said study was jointly undertaken by the University Of The Philippines’ Assessment Curriculum Technology Research Center-College Of Education (ACTRC) and the University of Melbourne.

Inside the class, we shared arguments regarding the application of First Language (L1) in the teaching-learning process. Our opinions differ but proven to have a point on the respected issue.

Upon learning about this news, I had rather contradicting ideas about it. In overview, I like the proposal of making L1 as the means of teaching. However, knowing the status of the educational system here in our country today, I could not help but feel doubtful.

Here’s why:

In theory, the idea of using Mother Tongue language or, in our case, Filipino as the main means of teaching is a great approach. Utilizing Filipino language in imparting knowledge with our learners would have positive outcomes. One of these outcomes is that it would be easier for our students especially of those of young age to understand the subject matter being taught to them. The acquisition of knowledge and the retention of it would also be affected favorably. Thus, somewhat making the teaching-learning process more effective than it is today.

However, all of these positive outlooks on the usage of the Mother Tongue language is based merely on a theory or perhaps a wishful notion of “would haves” and “what ifs”. We still need its practical application in order to confirm such belief. Only then we can draw conclusions on whether using Filipino language in teaching is appropriate and effective or is it another road block to academic success.

As of now, we cannot straightforwardly say that utilizing Filipino language as a primary way of teaching will be perfect for our learners. Nor we can assume that it will not. There are still factors to be seriously considered before executing such drastic reform in the educational system.

One of these factors is readiness.

Are our teachers ready to teach subjects especially Math and Science in Filipino language? Do they have the appropriate vocabularies or terminologies in Filipino to teach the said domains? If they are, let’s just say that they are, are there available textbooks or modules that are written in our Mother Tongue language that are ready for usage? Are our resources like physical, human, intellectual as well as financial adequate to accommodate such reform?

A reform in curriculum is essential not only for the teachers but most especially for the learners. The utilization of Mother Tongue language at a present time can be considered as an ambitious undertaking. However, how ambitious it may be, we must open our minds to possibilities.

In the end, change does not mean failure or demotion. Sometimes change is a sign of progress. Perhaps using Filipino language in teaching will prompt excellent results in the end. Perhaps with this kind of approach we might reap learners that are more globally competent and skillful in different areas. Who knows right? One thing is for sure. Only time can tell.

PS

Humihingi ako ng paumanhin kung ang update na ito ay nagdulot ng pagdurugo ng ilong o pagkatuyot ng utak sa ilang masugid kong mambabasa. Pasensya na, mga minamahal kong yagit. Hindi ko napigilan ang aking sarili at nagpadala ako sa aking emosyon at nararamdaman kaya napa-English tuloy ako ng wagas kahit na hindi naman umuulan. Hehehe (-_-)y

Lubos akong humihingi ng dispensa sa mga naagrabyado ko sa akdang ito. Ngunit subalit datapwat, ganon man ang inyong sinapit, nawa’y may natutunan kayo sa aking mga pinagsasasabi kahit papaano. At ‘wag n’yo sanang kakalimutan na ang Pogi Pogi ko. Wahahaha (≧∇≦)/

The end.