1: Home Economics

Noah

"We're getting married." I said.

Dad gasped. "Not again!" he screamed loudly.

The loudest laugh came from the back of the room.
Grandma was laughing hysterically, though I couldn't tell if it was at my announcement, or at my dad's shock. I must have been missing something.

Dad number two was watching amusingly.

"I did not expect this much from a school project announcement." I said, watching  their bewildered faces darting from one to the other.

Dad shuddered. "It just brings back horrid memories. Child terror. PTSD-"

"Evan we met because of that 'traumatic' experience." Dad number two said, obviously done with Dad number one.

"I know that," he spoke after a mouthful of corn. He was dripping corn water on the coffee table and I could already tell he was gonna get scolded by grandma. She was religious about her tables.

"It's just mentally scarring you know."

"Glad to know we mentally scar you."

"Can you not?" Dad Evan said. "You make it sound like we're some married couple.

I sighed loudly. They were a married couple.

I do something good for once and this is what I get.

"I'm going to my room." I grunted. I wasn't mad at them or anything; they were the best family one could wish for, but sometimes I liked to give them the teen angst that parents expect.

My bedroom was the only one downstairs. The rest of the bedrooms were upstairs. My dads had a room and my grandparents had another. I chose my current one because the only other option was to have the empty one next to dads', and God no.

Anything but that.

I shivered at that morbid thought.

I crashed in bed. It was starting to get darker.

I thought about the whole day and how I ended up married to my classmate.

You go to school expecting a normal boring day, but comes a class that changes your whole fucking school year. I wasn't married married, but to the rest of the economy class, I was. It wouldn't stop there, though. It was going to be a school-wide buzz very soon.

The marriage was not the problem. All the classroom was paired into husbands and wives.

The problem was who I was engaged to.

We were supposed to raise a fictional family and apply everything we learned in Home Ec to our household. Still, not a problem. I was a decent student with good grades. Not a valedictorian, but a serious candidate if I wanted to be.

The class was larger than regular ones, but not big enough to be split into two sections. We had one of the bigger classrooms. The teacher was pairing us Husband and Wife.

She first gave everyone the chance to choose their own partner, and then started doing it randomly. She was very lenient when it came to group projects. Annoyingly lenient.

I wasn't that student who liked rules and ruined class for everyone, but I was annoyed by it for one reason only.

Everyone was hurting Kent.

No one would choose him as a partner. He had no friends as far as I knew. His fragility reminded me of a frozen water bubble. It was gonna break any second, and no one was there to hold the pieces as they'd fell.

There are some moments in life, where everything aligns scarily with your thoughts. Because then, everyone was paired. Everyone but Kent and I.

We were the last 2 guys in class, and there weren't any girls left.

"I guess you can work on the project alone or-" the teacher stuttered, not knowing what to do. She was a new teacher and I didn't expect her to be on-the-spot.

"Why would we work alone? I'm marrying Kent." I said, the shock rendering the whole class silent. I didn't like it, not at all, but I wasn't gonna sit there and look at him get left out. My parents raised me better than that.

"Oh. Okay, I guess that would work." she released a breath of relief as the whole thing was resolved. "Everyone switch seats to your partners'".

Ruffling of books and screeches of chairs took over the previous silence, and Kent was now sitting next to me.

He did not speak. Not one word was uttered from him the whole time. We just took notes related to the subject. Right before he put away his notebook, I snatched it and wrote my number on it. He blushed for some reason and put it away, scurrying outside.

"Helloes." her soft voice chimed behind me as I left the classroom.

"Hey Ruby," I greeted her. She was overwhelmed with the amount of stuff she was carrying. "Let me."

She gave me a huge bag. It weighed down my arms. "Thank you, oh my God."

"How the hell were you carrying it?"

"It's not that heavy wimp." her sense of humour was wild.

"You're something Ruby Red."

"Cringe." yes, she said cringe.

Ruby was the student body president, captain of the cheerleaders, a prominent member of the science club, and my best friend. Whenever I had free time I'd help her with all the chaos she was always in.

"How was home ec?"

"I'm married to Kent." I said bluntly.

She stopped in her tracks, then ran a couple steps to catch up. "Kent? Kent Sinclair? That Kent?"

"Oh my God! He's so cute." she shrieked as we stopped by the gym doors. Thankfully I didn't have PE until the end of the day.

I dropped her stuff and went to class. It felt like every student was scrutinising me in their head.

However, the actual murmurs didn't start until after third period.

Rumors after fourth.

Fake scenarios after fifth.

And by the end of the day, students were talking about Kent and I sneaking into janitor closets and making out under bleachers.

The whole day was draining.

However, it was nothing compared to what Kent must have gone through. Because the moment I saw what was on his locker, I became furious.

A/N: what's up guys and welcome to the first story of 2019! I hope you will enjoy it as much as my previous stories if not more.

Don't forget to vote and comment and tell me what you think!