Chapter 17

Doctor POV

'I should have listened to Ayla, I can feel she is angry with me, I can't deal with this right now. She tried to rip her hand from mine, but I held on tight, she needs the comfort just as much as I do. Holding onto her gives me assurance that she is okay'.

'Ayla, I'm sorry, we will talk about this later. But right now we need to figure what's keeping the wolf out and how we are going to survive the night'.

She looks at me angrily, 'look what's on the doors'.

'What's on the doors? Oh I see, Mistletoe, is that it?' she doesn't answer, I feel hurt by her actions and let her hand go, deciding to give her some space.

I turn to Robert and ask, " Mistletoe. Sir Robert, did you father put that there?" "I don't know. I suppose". He answers. "On the other door, too. No, a carving wouldn't be enough. I wonder". I go to lick the woodwork. 'Argh. Gross', I hear from Ayla and smile 'at least I'm getting a reaction from her that is not anger'.

"Viscum album, the oil of the mistletoe. It's been worked into the wood like a varnish. How clever was your dad? I love him. Powerful stuff, mistletoe. Bursting with lectins and viscotoxins". I tell all of them. 'How did Ayla know?'

"And the wolf's allergic to it?" Rose asks.

"Well, it thinks it is. The monkey monk monks need a way of controlling the wolf, maybe they trained it to react against certain things".

Robert speaks up, "Nevertheless, that creature won't give up, Doctor, and we still don't possess an actual weapon".

"Oh, your father got all the brains, didn't he? ", I say to him mockingly.

"Being rude again", Rose comments.

"Good. I meant that one. You want weapons? We're in a library. Books! Best weapons in the world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have" I throw some books to Rose.

"Arm yourself".

Ayla POV

We have been sitting here for almost forty minutes. I decide to go check on how the queen is doing.

I walk to her, and curtsy, "hello, your majesty, how are you holding up?"

She looks at me for a moment, and answers, "I'm alright child. Come sit, you look like you are going to sleep any moment".

"Thank you, Your majesty". I sit there next to her as the Doctor, Sir Robert and Rose go through the books.

I look to the queen and say softly, "I'm sorry that your night turned out this way. The doctor, he is a good man you know, he helps where he can. He will always be there where he is needed the most. I don't think he does it the way people expect, but he gets the job done. He looks like he doesn't care but he does, as does Rose"

.

"Thank you child, I will take what you said to me into consideration. But he is clearly a dangerous man," she says softly to me, "you are still a child, and while in his care, you are in danger. If we survive tonight, I want you to consider coming with me".

I sat there looking shocked. I don't know if the doctor heard this, he has made no indication that he has.

"Thank you, ma'am. But I...I need the doctor. He is like the only family I have left". I tell her quietly.

She nods, "Take it into consideration child, you are in danger when with this man. You will have a place with me". I give her a nod.

"Biology, zoology. There might be something on wolves in here ", Rose says. "Hold on, what about this? A book on mistletoe", the doctor asks. "A book on magic"