39. Flash

-Arch-

-Arch-

Once the school was over, we decided to follow Oliver home. I was a little surprised since it was Jaden's idea, but we all agreed we needed to make sure Oliver got home safely. Everyone at school knew now that he was hanging out with us. The Black Thorns knew he was hanging out with us. That thought got Jaden pretty anxious when it occurred to him.

I couldn't help but agree with his worries. I was still bombarded with warnings left and right, so I couldn't even tell when he was in real danger. We were all in danger all the time, if my warnings were right.

And... I never told anyone, but... being close to Oliver was horrible for me.

It was not him that caused it, though. He was not dangerous at all, but the warnings grew a lot stronger whenever I was near him. I was nauseous, covered in cold sweat and shivering when he was close to me.

We were supposed to go for a run after Oliver was safely at home, but soon later, he stepped back out. I wasn't sure if he could feel us close by or if it was just a coincidence, so we decided to continue following him. It seemed like he wasn't aware of us until a bit later, when he suddenly stepped into the forest, walking straight to us.

It was normal for him to be able to feel Jaden close by, but I wasn't so sure about Tilly or me. We were connected with Jaden, yes, but I still found it a little odd.

And all those things I learned about him during lunch... Jaden should have told us Oliver could hear his voice when he was shot. He never told us how Oliver found out about us. Hearing someone's thoughts miles away was something no one could do. No one in the new world. I didn't know much about old worlds, but if someone could hear thoughts miles away, it had to be one of them.

But the problem was that Oliver was only a sixteen-year-old human. Old worlds were thousands of years old. Amnesia was out of the question since he became Jaden's mate on his sixteenth birthday – the moon goddess knew he was sixteen, and she was an old world herself.

So... what kind of creature could hear someone's thoughts miles away?

I looked at Oliver, when he tried to break up Tilly and Jaden, who were fighting over a stick. When his words were ignored, he sighed heavily and went to get a new one.

"Tilly! You can have this one – that's Jaden's. Tilly? Look! Look what I got...!"

I would've laughed when she ran after the stick Oliver tossed for her if I'd been in my human form. She had found it hilarious when we saw Jaden playing fetch with Oliver for the first time. I couldn't really blame her – hunting was in our blood. Oliver threw the other stick for Jaden while Tilly was bringing hers back to him.

No one. That was the answer I was looking for. All the mind readers needed to be right next to their target, or even touch them to be able to hear their thoughts.