30

LEAH

The turtleneck of my top hardly covered the hickey Jarrod left on me earlier. There was something reckless about the mark that I both loathed and loved. I'd never had one in such a visible place and yet I felt a sick thrill at the possibility of getting caught.

My hair was still a little frizzy so I pinned it away from my face. I rubbed my denim-clad hips. They felt slightly more padded than usual.

Damn, had I gained a few?

The jingle of the doorbell startled me. I gulped at my reflection and then scuttled out to the foyer. My mood had tanked in a matter of seconds.

What if I looked extra big today? Oh God.

Jarrod's gaze assuaged every fear the second the door was no longer between us. His reddish eyes raked me up and down as a smirk curled at his cheeks. "Babe," he greeted, "you shouldn't be allowed to leave the house looking that sexy."

I laughed nervously and waved a hand. "Thanks. I do try sometimes."

Then I looked him over, feeling much less worried about my own appearance.

Jarrod wore a navy collared shirt with black jeans. His broad shoulders strained against the short sleeves and his muscular legs tested the seams of his jeans. He looked damn delectable. His hair was combed back with gel but he hadn't shaved. A shade of stubble colored his chin and jaw.

I wet my lips as I drank in the sight of him.

"Well," I husked, "we don't have to leave."

"You're not wrong." He rubbed his jaw. "I would like to take you out, though. To bowl, preferably. It would be quite selfish of me to hide you away all the time when you are this stunning."

"Thank you." My cheeks rosed bashfully. "I guess we should go then."

Soon we were in his beautiful Maserati. My hands floated over the interior and the display features. If I wasn't so attached to my Benz, I would really consider investing in one of these. Brown leather just did something sinful to me. Jarrod entertained my silly whims and indulged me with a few laughs. I enjoyed seeing him so lighthearted. Sometimes he could be so intense. Not that I minded. It was kinda hot.

The bowling alley was packed, but it was a Saturday night. Kids ran around with pizzas and tickets from the arcade in their hands. Early 2000s pop played over the speakers and a general din flowed out from the bustling lanes. I took it all in with a giddy grin. I was about to make a total fool of myself and I didn't even care.

"Let's get a lane," Jarrod said into my ear, his hand gripping my hip delightfully hard.

He guided me over to the counter where we got our shoes and were assigned to a lane. There was a ten minute wait on ours so I suggested we check out our food and beverage options. It had been awhile since I'd been here and I didn't realize how nice the dining part was. The bar and tables were very '50s diner designed with vinyl seats and bar stools. We sat at the bar and glanced over the menu. The bartender collected our orders—a White Russian for me and a Bud Light for Jarrod.

"I won't need to be watching you in the shower tonight, will I?" Jarrod asked with smart ass
smile.

I scrunched my nose at him. "Not for the reasons you might be thinking. Although it's nice to know I do have you to catch me now."