Chapter 17: Kyoya's reluctant day out!

Start from the beginning

-Haruhi Pov- 

It was good to see Kosei in such a good mood. He had seemed so down when I first went to his apartment. I expected it seeing as he had just left home, and he missed his friends and girlfriend all the time. But I wasn't expecting him to be so open. He was usually so closed off, but it made me happy to know that he trusted me. I was glad to be a good friend to him and help him, even if it meant just listening to him as he talked through his feelings. We had been walking around the shopping mall for a bit, and we had found a few stores with some good deals on food. Now we were walking around doing more casual shopping. I had wanted to see if I could find some new tops to wear and Kosei said he wouldn't mind looking around as well. "Huh, Kyoya?" Kosei said stopping in his tracks, I stopped as well. And there he was Kyoya of all people standing in the middle of our shopping center. We both walked up to him, rather confused. "Kyoya. We didn't expect to see you today." Haruhi said getting the mans attention. He saw us and seemed surprised at first, but then got a thoughtful look and walked closer to us. "Kosei, Haruhi....how much money do you have on you?" he asked. "Wh-what?" Both Kosei and I asked at the same time. 

-Fast food joint, Kosei's Pov-  

"A-are you sure this is where you want to eat? There are much nicer places upstairs." Haruhi said as we all stood in line. "Even if we took the money that both you and Kosei have it wound't be enough to cover for all of us, so we don't have much choice." Kyoya said quite frankly. "Just make sure that you keep the receipt. Tamaki will pay you ten fold." Something frightening in the mans eyes made both Haruhi and I shiver and take a step back as Kyoya ordered his food. "Man why did this have to happen? I just wanted to have a peaceful day." She said with a sigh. "Usually Kyoya isn't that bad...but he seems like he is in a bad mood today." I said with a frown. We placed our orders and we all sat down at a booth. We made small talk while we were eating, but it was easy to tell that Kyoya was acting differently....no, not different. "Wow Kyoya, I don't think I have ever seen this side of you before." I said with a grin as I ate a few fries. "Yea well special circumstances have made it un-avoidable. Besides it's not like anyone important would be here to notice my absence of manners." We continued eating and I let my thoughts wonder. "I guess even Kyoya has to take a break from trying to be perfect all the time." Kyoya leaned back and looked over at Haruhi. "Your probably wondering how Tamaki and I complement each other so well-" She jumped back and I couldn't help but laugh, clearly that's what she was thinking. "The answer is simple. Because it's in my interest. I won't act for any other reason. I have to look out for number one." Kyoya said with a smirk. Haruhi frowned. "Tamaki would be heart broken if he heard you say that." I said. "On the contrary. He has known this from the beginning. It's why we teamed up." Kyoya said pushing up his glasses. "Really?" I asked, surprised. "It's not just me. The twins, Honey and Mori. The glue that holds us all together is that it is in our best interests. Our relationship with each others families and the situations that each of us are placed in - Well, lets just say that there is still quite a bit that you all don't know." Both Haruhi and I were silent as we let his words sink in. "Although that fool Tamaki sometimes acts when there is nothing in it for him...so I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that there is absolutely nothing that is similar between Tamaki and I." Kyoya said thoughtfully. We finished our food and started to walk around in search of the rest of the host club. I let his words bounce around in my mind. Was everyone in the host club really in it because of family obligations? They all seemed so close. Like really good friends. Maybe there was a lot about their lives that we didn't understand yet. 

-Haruhi Pov- 

"So Kyoya, how come we don't know a lot about your family yet. We have all known each other for awhile now." I said, trying to make some small talk. "Because there is nothing that you need to know of any information that would benefit you all to know about my family." He said matter of factly. "Well that seems pretty unfair." Kosei said folding his arms. "Unfair?" He asked him. "Kyoya - you know almost everything about my family." I said, remembering all the times my dad had talked to him. "You have a lot of information about us, and we have none on you. So that seems unfair." Kosei explained. "You have two older brothers right? Tell us something about them." I said, not really asking if Kyoya wanted to. "Kyoya! I didn't even know that you had any siblings." Kosei said. Kyoya didn't say anything for a few seconds, and I feared that we had over stepped. But then he smiled and said. "They are exceptional young men. So much so that my father puts a lot of faith and trust in their hands. Though as the third son things work out a little differently for me." He said. "So things are hard for ya huh?" I asked. "Hard?" Kyoya asked with a grin. "Oh no, I couldn't think of anything more fun than this." I frowned not really getting it. But we continued walking on. "I'm going to go by the restroom really fast, I'll be right back." Kosei said excusing himself. 

-Kosei Pov- 

"I think I understand Kyoya a little more today than I ever have before." I thought to myself as I washed my hands in the bathroom. The pressure that he receives from his family. I felt that pressure from my mom when she got really ill and I was playing in competitions. And when he said that he couldn't think of anything more fun than trying to grow out of his brothers shadows. Well it reminded me of when I go out on stage to play piano. Shaking like a leaf from fear, my pulse racing, and I couldn't think of anything more exciting than the thrill of a performance. I looked at myself in the mirror. "Yes, Kyoya and I do share some similarities after all." I though to myself before I left the restroom. I walked back to where Haruhi and Kyoya were and was surprised to see one of the store owners being dragged out. "I leave you guys for a few minutes and you make a big spectacle huh?" I said walking over. "Hey, it was all Kyoya. He caught some guy selling fake antiques." Haruhi explained. "Oh really? With the way you were talking before that seems a bit out of character for you." I said turning to Kyoya. "Oh not really, the woman that he was trying to sell to owns a big electronics company. Her husbands company does work with us. I have never met her in person but the ring on her finger is a big give away." Haruhi seemed shocked as an elderly lady walked over to us. "Imagine running into one of the Otori boys here! And just my luck. The next time my family comes around we will be sure to take advantage of one of your many resorts." She said bowing to Kyoya. "We would be honored." Kyoya said with a charming grin. the boy who we usually see at club with the ladies appearing out of thin air. "Wait a second...that ladies ring." Haruhi said with a thoughtful look. "what about it?" I asked. "oh...nothing. Let's keep looking for the rest of the host club." 

"Attention shoppers. This is an announcement for a lost little boy. His name is Kyoya Otori. His guardian Tamaki Suou is waiting for him at the front desk." 

Haruhi and I looked over at Kyoya, but it was hard to tell exactly what he was feeling. his face was completely blank. I had to cover my mouth to stop the laughter. Tamaki was a dead man. 

"He has black hair and has on a pair of glasses. Has a slim figure, and is lost." 

People started to recognize Kyoya and were giving him confused looks. "That idiot. I'm going to kill him!" Kyoya said. 

-Front Desk- 

Kyoya, Kosei, and Haruhi all walked up to the front desk to see the rest of the host club, and a dog, waiting for him. "Kyoya! Your safe!" Tamaki said with delight running over to him. Kyoya pushed him away as the twins asked what Kosei and Haruhi were doing with Kyoya. "We ran into him, after you guys dumped him on a bench." Haruhi said as Kosei watched the dog attack Tamaki with licks. "What's with the dog?" Kyoya asked, not amused in the slightest. "Isn't she amazing! I got her at this wonderful place called a pet shop!" Tamaki said with delight. "Oh boy." Kosei said with a sigh. "Hey! you're back from home! How was it?" Honey asked running up to the boy with Mori behind him. Kosei smiled. "It was great." He said as Tamaki walked up. "Really? How was the important day that you couldn't miss? You never told us what it even was." He asked petting the dog. Kosei paused.

Feb. 18th 

Tsubaki, Ryota, and Kaori's parents all stood together in front of her grave. I was stood behind them. It never got easier. "Kosei," Tsubaki said holding out her hand. I took it, and she pulled me up to where I was standing beside her. "Kaori was such an amazing young woman. She was so lucky to have friends like you who come on this year every day." Her mom said wiping the tears from her cheeks. "It continues to be the saddest day of my life. The day my angle left us to go to heaven." Her dad said, struggling to hold back his own tears. Kosei didn't even try, letting his tears fall freely down his face as he looked at the tombstone. Ryota stepped up and placed the flowers down in front of the tombstone. Tsubaki held my hand tightly and I could tell by her shaking that she was crying too. I pulled her under my arm and I let her cry on my shoulder as well all took time to remember her. And mourn. 

"It's a secret. But my visit home was good." Kosei said to Tamaki. The boy frowned, but didn't push it as the Host Club got ready to head home. Haruhi and Kosei left as well, opting to taking the bus rather than a limo. "Kyoya had a point earlier. Their worlds so much different compared to Haruhi and I...maybe I need a little more time to understand them more before I can trust them. Or maybe I'm just using that as an excuse." Haruhi went to her home and Kosei opened the door to his apartment, hands full of food. It was so quiet. Until he heard April calling for Him. Kosei smiled as the black cat walked over. He picked her up right away and started to put up all the food he had gotten. "Looks like it's just us tonight April." Kosei said as she licked his cheek.