Forever Knight: Chapter 3

© Copyright / All Rights Reserved

Chapter Three

"Sir Stirling, how it pleases me to finally meet you," Miss Burt gushed as she held out her hand to the handsome man. In return he only nodded his head, and she pulled back with a lightly bruised ego.

"I feel I have become very close to you already!" Her striving to be taken noticed by this beautiful creature in her presence was almost too much for her to handle, the rumors told of him surely were not from an overused imagination as she had thought.

She mused, no, the rumors - if anything lacked to clarify his beauty. She absently wondered why a man such as his age, and unmarried would want to adopt, but she pushed it aside, for there were more important matters at hand and that was making sure he selected Ellen. Miss Burt had promised herself that she would do her ought most best to get Ellen this handsome man, and once he chose her, Ellen would do the rest.

"Ah, well Miss Burt, I am rather tight on time so could we please hurry with these details that were so important for me to come here for?" Miss Burt wanted to sigh as he spoke. His voice was nothing but emotionless, cold and controlled, nothing compared to his beautiful façade. Never the less his voice was like honey. Even with the edge in his tone it was so sweet, even seductive! She had her work cut out for her. Unlike the others that came to Pembroke, this dark man would take a lot of convincing and motive to not even spare a glance at the other girls.

"Oh yes, yes! The details. Of course, silly me" Miss Burt stammered as she felt uncomfortable with such a hard response toward her. She felt completely outraged to be treated so ordinary to anyone let alone this man. She however quickly went to find the paper work in her office that needed to be signed. That's when she caught sight of the red outside her door. Miss Burt knew none of the girls had Ellen's beauty, but that beauty was often overlooked when her temper arise, the only girl here that could over past Ellen's attractiveness was that beastly-mannered child Mae. With her unnatural red hair, and her sea green eyes, she was indeed very pretty and that was reason enough to hide her away from their visitor. Fury inflamed inside her at the thought of losing this game.

Mae had just finished with some of Ellen's laundry Miss Burt had order her to clean and headed down the narrow hall with the heavy basket in her hands as she made her way to the living spaces. Mae had almost been tempted to stick a red rag into the load and make everything turn to patches of pink. That would surely make the woman stop forcing chores that did not belong to her down her throat, Mae mused. As she continued down the hall idly thinking about what it was going to be like when she lived on her own she was snapped out of her reverie when an all too chilling familiar voice echoed out of Miss Burt's office and froze Mae in place.

"Ah, well Miss Burt, I am rather tight on time so could we please hurry with these details that were so important for me to come here for?" That deep musical voice provoked a reaction from her as it did every single night over her past five years of dreaming of him. Mae knew there couldn't possibly be a rational reason why to think it was truly the mystery man, there is no possible way for someone you haven't met to have such an impact on someone in their dreams for them to in actual fact be real. The only thing that made sense to Mae was she had undeniably lost her mind after all these years. Mae knew she was lying to herself however.

"Oh yes, yes! The details. Of course, silly me," She heard Miss Burt stammer and then the rustle of her dress as she hurried around the room. Mae realized her hands were shaking and she nearly dropped the freshly cleaned clothes but quickly caught them. She was just about to sigh with relief as Miss Burt shouted at her, "Mae! What are you doing snooping around? Get back to your room at once!" Mae flinched as she felt the force of Miss Burt and quickly passed the door, only seeing a glimpse of the person the voice belonged to. It felt as if she was in slow-motion as she caught sight of his eyes. They were a unique turquoise blue. The same ones as her mystery mans. The intense look held in them was also the same she had seen in her dreams. A chill ran up her spine as she remembered the word he had spoken.

Soon.

***

That night the entire Pembroke Orphanage was sleeping soundly, all except one. Mae was restlessly tossing and turning as her dream pulled her deeper and deeper into the corners of her mind. Tonight, Mae was no longer in Pembroke's court yard. This time she was somewhere entirely different. There were a few inches of snow covering the ground. It was dark outside however, Mae could still notice the outline of a large castle looming from behind her, the towering form casting shadows that seemed to make the night darker.

Mae was cold and weeping. Something had happened and she couldn't remember what it was. She knew though whatever had taken place frightened her to the brink of death. Shadowy figures loomed in the back of her mind trying to move the large wall blocking out memories that hazily withdrew more every passing minute.

Blood. Lots and lots of blood flooded through her memories. Blood on her hands... Blood on the floor, on him, he had blood all over his clothes, hands and lips. What had he done? Who had he done this to? Mae felt the lump in her throat rising, the urge to scream building but nothing came. She was helpless, her body ignoring the messages her brain sent. She'd lost control over her own body, her own will. A hand his hand reaching out for her, beckoning her to his embrace, to his dark shadows. Against her will Mae took his out stretched hand feeling the heat of her being pulled out as he guided her deeper and deeper into his beautiful mysterious abyss.

***

"Are you certain?" Miss Burt was fuming; only a week had passed since the strikingly handsome Sir. Stirling had come to the Pembroke Orphanage. All the final paperwork filled out and signed to the fullest degree. Now standing in front of Miss Burt was a tall, lanky man with flaxen colored hair named Dillion MacGregor explaining that he had been sent by Stirling to retrieve the girl he had chosen. The reason's that Miss Burt was so irate however was not for the matter that Sir. Stirling had not come himself. But for she had not had the chance to present him Ellen, the fact that he had selected a girl already when he had not seen any but one troubled her exceedingly through.

"Aye ma'am, undeniably certain," Dillion said, his voice thick with his Irish inheritance. He smiled civilly toward the seething female in front of him, watched as her jaw clenched and unclenched as she uselessly tried calming her tension. Dillion wasn't bothered by her reaction however. He had been expecting it for he and Stirling had been warned about the woman's deceiving ways from the start. Though Dillion could not quite understand the woman's hatred toward the other girls, he certainly wasn't going to let her folly the arrangement.

Dillion cleared his throat before saying, "Well if there is nothing more to be done and Sir Stirling has handled all the formalities I would like to see the girls now, if you would be so kind," He gestured for Miss Burt to lead the way. She jerked her chin up, not hiding her disappointment at all and tentatively led the way to the eating quarters.

(A/N)  

Sorry it has taken me so long to update this story, I have been trying my best to finish Black Forest, and therefore my thoughts on Forever Knight have been elsewhere. But now, my thoughts are back to working on all my stories and updating as soon as I possibly can for you lovely fans.  

Enjoy, and dont for get to Read, Vote, Comment and Fan  

:)

LizzieBliss