ch. 11 - transformation

'You thought the shine in

Your eyes was just the

Reflection of the stars you

Could never reach, but I

Knew better. I swear you

Had the universe in you

And galaxies were

Peeking through'

-A.D

||||

When you look to the night sky, really you're looking into the past. The shine of the stars reaching your sight has taken thousands of light years to reach our little Earth, so really that star could have died but you wouldn't know until the light caught up. Of course, Adeline is yet to know these many things, but that doesn't make her any less captivated by the glittering dots the sky puts on for display every night, and what better view than the astronomy tower, right?

It was after school hours—way after school hours, at around eleven. She was definitely meant to be in bed, safely tucked away in the common room, but why would she bother when a sight like this showed itself off so proudly? Ad was never able to have a proper view of the sky back in the mansion, so it was rather difficult to look away.

Adeline was rather good at sneaking about, walking the corridors without being caught. This was, obviously, essential in refraining from getting in trouble, especially with Umbridge practically in charge, as the punishments wouldn't be light, nor would she get a simple warning.

She leaned against the rail, eyes only on that of above, drawing imaginary constellations with the stars, the moon carved so thin it's a thumbnail clipping the sky. It was a Sunday night, so luckily there wasn't going to be any astronomy classes finding her. The astronomy tower was massive, almost shaped like a telescope with the largest area on the top, and as you climbed your way to the top with the telescopes, there were different floors, getting wider and wider as you ascended.

So really, even if there were a class, she'd easily be able to hide. Besides, on her way up there, she'd found a good spot on the second-largest floor just below the level she was currently on. It was in the shadows of said telescope-floor, so no one up there would be able to see her. But everyone knows the best view is by the telescopes—that's just Hogwarts common knowledge, as there's a larger portion of the sky to look at, that you're not shadowed by the above floor.

Addie had already been to the previously given detention from the other day after spilling her potion onto Umbridge. It wasn't as bad as the first detention, since she wasn't late this time, but that didn't mean it was any good. Harry had insisted on meeting her a hall away from the pink lady's office afterward, to both not be seen by the Professor, but also to keep a check on Ad, just like Dumbledore had instructed the previous year. Many would think she'd be annoyed by his protectiveness, but really, she rather liked it.

And as tiredness made her grey eyes sore, Adeline set to finally hopping her way down the many steps of the astronomy tower. She barely missed being spotted by a Slytherin Prefect who started walking toward her hiding spot once back in the castle, though she was too quick for the blond, flicking her hand to make a literal knight in shining armour behind him buckle over and clang, only able to see from the reflection in an old window.

As they whirled around, she took her chance to quickly dash across from her hiding spot, right where they were once looking, running her way back to the common room with light footing, halting to a stop before she turned each corner. Eventually she made it back to the Gryffindor common room, the Fat Lady portrait winking, a smirk playing her lips.

"Did you get caught?" She whispered, as all other portraits were sleeping, snores echoing throughout. Adeline grinned, shaking her head, breathless, her cheeks and tip of her nose pink from the cold.

"No," She corrected herself, maintaining a quiet voice. "Well, not yet, anyway."

Footsteps sounded from further down the winding set of moving staircases, the sound ricocheting like the snores of portraits, some waking up due to the noise, their complaints beginning to wake up other portraits.

"Quickly, come in!" The Fat Lady ushered, voice low yet urgent.

"Giggle bush," Adeline hurriedly recited the odd password, quickly sliding in as soon as the hidden door opened, closing up just as she was barely completely in the cosy, maroon common room once again.

||||

One minute she was staring at the ceiling, too awake to fall asleep, covers pulled up to her chin, dark hair spread messily across her pillow. She'd been transferred from her previous room to an unused one with Hermione and Ginny—who'd left their own original dorms. Dumbledore had seen they all trusted eachother, and knew the two girls would take care of Adeline if anything were to happen again.

But the next, her stomach bubbled with nausea, a pounding ache spreading through her head. She lay frozen for a little, hoping it was just some stupid nightmare, but as she kicked off the blankets and saw the black smoke creeping closer from her feet again, Ad knew it wasn't.

She stood, and it seemed to spread faster as she moved, wobbling slightly, only her head and neck free of the smoke as Adeline reached that of Hermione's bed after what seemed like days.

"Hermione!" Addie spoke, half yelping, her voice shaking. The bookworm woke immediately, sitting up, her eyes widening. "The bell! Quickly!"

Dumbledore had made a bell similar to the style at reception desks, but if you rang it, it would ding a replica in the Headmaster's office, alerting him of the transformation.

Ginny was now awake, Hermione reaching over and almost slapping the bell off the bedside table with urgency. The black swept away as if a sudden gust of wind blew it, the demon of perfection left standing there at Hermione's bed. The two girls couldn't move from shock, unable to speak at the sight of her, the rose set on Adeline's dresser wilting, its leaves shrivelling and petals drooping.

To be perfect is to be inhuman, and that's what she was. Her face was completely symmetrical, not a freckle or scar in sight—her face so pale she may as well be dead. Her eyes were a dark, blood red, though a slightly darker shade than when she last transformed.

She kept a straight face, black lips turned slightly downward as she raised her hand to the girls, though was stopped once again after Dumbledore apparated into the room, the white smoke emitting from his wand encasing her, leaving Adeline once again on the floor.

a/n:

oops! I did it againnn

-G