rain

thank you for 600 reads! it is appreciated:)

a/n: hey guys! this isn't my absolute best writing, but I liked the idea of this oneshot! (I'm actually editing this chapter later to fix a couple things I didn't like hahahaha) it's got a lot of fluff and cuteness. I hope you enjoy this oneshot and please check the a/n: at the bottom for more information!

Mike's POV

Hopper has spent the last couple of months trying to catch El up on her knowledge for school. He says that if she learns it all before the new school year, then she can start going to school with the party and I.

However he did say that she also has the option to be homeschooled for one more year if she doesn't feel comfortable going to school this upcoming year. I'm okay with whatever she chooses, as long as El is happy.

I have to admit, I will miss her when I'm not able to see her during the day, but all that matters to me is her happiness.

Hopper—curtesy of El, of course—has made me her tutor. She also gets help from the party and sometimes Nancy and Jonathan if it's a more difficult subject, but for the most part I do most of the teaching.

So that's what brings me here, sitting next to El at the kitchen table in the small cabin. This week we've been focusing on science. Turns out science is one of El's stronger subjects and she actually finds it quite interesting.

El's strongest subject would have to be english. She loves reading and learning new words. I would say that the subject El struggles with the most is probably math, but I know that she'll learn quick. El is one of the smartest people I've ever met.

Today I'm teaching El about the water cycle. I brought my science book that contains almost everything you need to know about science. Yes, I'm such a nerd I own a giant book about the subject.

I had opened the page up to the section about the water cycle and started to explain the concept to El.

"So there are four steps to the water cycle. Evaporation, condensation, precipitation, and collection." I say pointing some things out on the diagram in the book.

She looks back to me, completely invested in the words I am saying. She looks adorable. El loves to learn and whenever I teach her something, I can't help but notice how she gets this look in her eye. It's determined and fascinated.

I also notice how she stares deeply into my eyes, listening intently while she's absorbing all of this new information like a sponge. Sometimes she places the end of her pencil in between her teeth when she's thinking really hard, or sometimes she slightly sticks her tongue out of the corner of her mouth when she's really concentr—

"Mike!" El says snapping me out of my thoughts. "Yes, El?" I say, shaking my head lightly as if to clear my mind. "Are you okay?" she asks looking into my eyes. "Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm okay." I say.

"Anyways, let's start with precipitation because that's the easiest to explain." I say. She nods her head, agreeing. "Okay so precipitation is when the water falls from the sky. It can fall as hail, snow, rain—"

"Rain?" El asks, interjecting. "Yeah. It's when those little water droplets fall from the sky. Sometimes it's a light sprinkle of rain or sometimes it comes down a bit harder. Like the night we met." I say, recalling the best thing to ever happen to me, with a blush coming to my cheeks.

"When we met?" she asks looking down with a blush rising on her cheeks. "Yeah, remember when I found you in the woods? It was pouring outside and really cold so I—"

"Gave me your jacket." she finishes letting out the cutest giggle I've ever heard.

I can't believe that the fateful night was over a year ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. Hearing the rustle of the leaves and turning around quickly to find the small and frail girl caught in the beam of my flashlight. I thought she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and that was the start of
Mike and El. El and Mike.

I guess I hadn't noticed before, too focused on the beauty that is El, but it's raining. Just like the night we met.

"Come on." I say standing up and grabbing her hand to pull her out of her seat. She looks up to me incredulously. "What are we doing?" she asks smiling in amazement.

"We're going to play in the rain."

I let go of her hand reluctantly and start putting my shoes on. "Remember those boots Hopper bought you recently? The rubber ones?" I ask as I continue to slip my shoes on.

"Yes..." she says looking at me with a confused smile. "Well those are perfect for playing in the rain! Go get them on and get something to keep you warm!" I say.

"Okay!" she says back as she quickly makes her way to her room.

I finish putting on my shoes and slip the jacket I brought on, zipping it up half way.

After a few seconds, El comes out looking absolutely gorgeous. She now has on the black rain boots Hopper had got her for Christmas, along with a thick navy sweater that I gave to her.

After I can get myself to look away from my beautiful girlfriend, I pull her red raincoat off of the rack. "Here put this on too." I say handing the slick piece of clothing to her.

She slips on the red material, tugging it tight around her, but leaving it unbuttoned.

"Ready!" she says with a bright smile. I let out a little laugh at her excitement and take a few steps towards her. Her eyes follow mine as I reach up to grab the hood of her coat. I lightly pull it over her head, still holding on the to edges as she looks up at me with a look I can only describe as love.

I place a quick peck to her nose, to which she scrunches her nose in the cutest way possible. "Come on, let's go!" I say grabbing her hand, intertwining our fingers. It's enchanting how her tiny hands fit perfectly in my bigger ones, like puzzle pieces.

We exit the cabin, making our way around to the back. We both run out into the forest, not too far from the edge.

We spun around in circles holding each other's hands. Chasing each other around while our laughter filled the air.

I eventually caught El, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind and tugging her towards me. She lets out a loud squeal, "Mike!" before I start tickling her sides. She turns around in my grip, wrapping her arms around my neck.

I stop tickling her, just staring into her beautiful hazel eyes. She starts to lightly play with the ends of my hair at the nape of my neck. My hair is slightly curling from the moisture, sticking to my forehead.

We both have raindrops streaming down our faces as we let out heavy breaths. We both slowly start to move in, looking into each other's eyes. Our noses lightly brush together in an eskimo kiss before we connect our lips.

It's a short and sweet kiss that I couldn't be anymore grateful for. We both pull away with smiles on our faces. I place a tender kiss to her forehead before wrapping my arms tightly around her shoulders as she wraps hers tightly around my torso.

The water cycle can wait.

word count: 1236
a/n: I hope you enjoyed this cute little fluffy chapter! I edited it a bit to make it less cringe and if you didn't see the original, consider yourself lucky hahahaha anyways thank you for reading and remember requests are always open!