24. Zuuro

Test prep is easily the most boring thing I could be doing with a Sunday night. Or maybe I just feel that way because I finished studying for all my exams early yesterday, and I've just been coming here to fake study since then, so I can spend more time with Lane.

Because between cramming for our midterms, me going to practice, and our regular classes, Lane and I haven't had much time to spend with each other this past week. It's just been rush, rush, rush, rush, rush.

Since he got cleared, and because he's too busy after school, Lane has been getting up incredibly early to fit in a workout before classes start in the morning. First, he does his yoga, then it's over to the fitness center for some strength training, and then he finishes his routine off with a run. Then it's back to the dorms for a quick shower and to get changed, and sometimes grab breakfast with me if I can get him pinned down long enough to actually sit still for five minutes before classes start.

After school, Lane, Fallon, and Tallon all go to study together, while Paul and I head off to our respective practices. Because on top of having our tests all next week, it's also the start to our game season. So, all the coaches have been pulling a crazy amount of practice time to prepare for the first games starting on Thursday night. I don't play until Friday, thankfully, so at least by then my head should be cleared of any test stress so I can fully focus on securing a win.

After practice, despite my exhaustion, I head over here to join the others for study group, where I spend the rest of my time until we all make our way back to the dorms to crash around eleven.

It's an insane schedule, and even though Lane and I spend most of it together, I still can't help but feel like we've been off on our own planets this whole week. Actually...the past two weeks, because I don't remember us being any less busy then either. It's like we're together, but we're not at the same time. It sucks.

But I'm still coming to these study things. I don't need to, and it's really no better than any of the other time Lane and I have spent together lately – still no time to talk or to do anything but work, eat, and sleep - but at least we're together, right? At least I'm with him?

Except tonight. Because Lane isn't here. He left over an hour ago with Tallon to go get us all pizza, and they still haven't returned. Which, if he was alone would worry me, but since they're together – and I haven't felt the overwhelming urge to find him like I do if he's in trouble – I assume they're fine. Or...that's what I'm telling myself. That they're just taking their dear sweet time to get back here. Something Paul and Fallon don't seem to be as stressed about as me.

"Maybe one of us should send a text?" I ask, after I've checked my phone for the hundredth time to find once again, that there's still nothing from Lane. I've been trying to be good. I've tried not to bug him, or text him myself, but...my anxiety over his absence is getting harder to ignore the longer he's gone.

Fallon glances up from her HoloScreen, offering a little comforting smile. "I already did a little bit ago. Tallon just said the lines were really long. I'm sure they'll be back soon, Zuuro." She says, knowing how panicky I get when Lane takes longer than he should to come back.

I know I'm probably just being paranoid, but every time he walks out the door by himself, I just end up worrying the entire time that Darin is going to hunt him down and hurt him like he did before. I know that's less likely now that they've been going to therapy, and because last time he attacked Lane I got a little...protective...but still. I just don't want anything to happen to him.

I frown, still unable to calm the unease churning in my gut. "But long enough that it's taken them an hour?" I ask in disbelief.

I'm not sure if she's just saying that to make me feel better about Lane being gone for so long, or because it's true, but it doesn't help either way. What I really want to do is head over to the cafeteria myself to go look for them, but I've got enough restraint that I haven't...yet.