Leyla

Can Divit never thought he would come back to this neighborhood. Her neighborhood. At least not without her. He still goes to the waterfront every night during his run and stops by their rocks. He can't help but pass by those cursed rocks. Maybe he's hoping she'll be there like in the past, waiting for him to find her. She never is.

As he drives through the familiar streets of her district, he can't help but wonder how their life would've turned out. Would she still be working with him? Would she branch out on her own? Would they stay in Istanbul or travel the world just like he promised? His thoughts were interrupted as he noticed the Aydin family home. He was so used to parking in front of the house that he forgot that Leyla isn't an Aydin anymore. He drives around the corner.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Leyla Isik feels restless. She wishes she could blame it on the baby using her insides as a trampoline. Only Sanem has the power to drive her crazy even when she wasn't around. Leyla would never admit it to anyone, but she's proud of her sister's accomplishments. She managed to get the upper hand due to her determination and drive. Unfortunately, she sacrificed her happiness.

Leyla would never have let Sanem leave Istanbul if she knew what her little sister had planned. More so with whom she conspired. Leyla hopes for Can't forgiveness one day. The time for contemplation is over as she hears her front door open.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Of all the scenarios he concocted in his head, Can never imagines Leyla greeting him with the warmth she's exuding at this moment. She hugs him as if she's happy to see him. Gone was the professional demeanor Leyla exhibited while she worked for Fikri Harika. In its place stands a beautiful mother to be full of warmth, compassion, and Can holds on to her every word.

"Osman found her the night she left by the waterfront. She was beside herself. He tried to get her to see reason. You know how Sanem gets. She was determined to go. So they picked up the scooter, and Osman followed her to Corlu before he had to turn around. He gave her some money and made her promise to keep in touch, even if it's just briefly."

Leyla hands Can a stack of postcards of all the places she's been since she left. Places they should have seen together.

"She called me the next day, you know. She apologized for not saying goodbye and that she left something for me to find. You broke her, Can. There's no use tiptoeing around it. She thought you'd understand. I knew she was going to come back someday. Just like I knew you would never stop looking for her when the dust settled."

Leyla leaves the room, and Can is stuck thinking about her words. Leyla is right. He understands completely. Unfortunately, the epiphany came too late. She did the same thing he did when he signed over that check to Fabri. He knew the consequences of his action would rip his father's agency apart, but he didn't care. Can was willing to throw everyone under the bus if it meant her freedom from Fabri's claws. She did the same thing but with even more noble intentions. Handing over her perfume meant his freedom and the agency's longevity.

In truth, Can owes Leyla and Osman. The couple made sure Sanem was alright. It was his job to take care of her. He couldn't even trust her judgment.

Can thumbs through the postcards. Sofia, Thessaloniki, Patras. There are countless postcards wrapped around in rubber bands. It looked like Sanem mailed out a postcard to Osman every few days. Just like she promised. His love is a woman of her word.

Leyla interrupts his internal musing when she returns with a thick sealed Manila envelope.

"I was supposed to give this to you when the time came."

Can eyes the envelope warily and has an idea as to the contents inside the envelope.

"Is that what I think it is?"

Leyla nods her head.

"She left it in the office before she disappeared. It didn't take me long to piece together what happened afterward. She thought you would come to me, but you never did. I held on to this for years, Can. Every time she called, she would ask if you came by. I think she wanted to know if you've moved on, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that she made a mistake. In truth, she needed to grow up. You both did, but it's time for her to come home, Can".

Can takes the envelope from her hand and opens it gingerly, as if it were a ticking bomb. The stack of papers felt heavy. Can saw this coming, but never thought she'd do it.

Damn it, Sanem.