03 ▪ her 'supposed-to-be' family (1)

HER 'SUPPOSED-TO-BE' FAMILY (1)
c h a p t e r   t h r e e

9th February 2019
03.04 p.m.

Whitney stepped out of the apartment with her hair done into a side ponytail, wearing a pastel pink off-shoulder top, her beige shorts, and her pink flat shoes to see a police car waiting for her. Inside, was a small girl with curly black hair in police uniform waiting for her.

"Hey, Ava." Whitney muttered, as she entered inside the car. Ava noticed Whitney's red swollen eyes, but she didn't dare to ask why.

She cried, for Daniel was gone, yet no one believed her beliefs that he was murdered, not suicide.

"Okay...," Ava awkwardly broke the silence, while taking a report file from the side pocket by the car's door.

Ava took a deep breath and read it, "So, Daniel Rust died on 5th February 2019, around 12.00 a.m. The crime scene was in his bedroom of his house on 12th Street, and there was no eye witness. After analyzing evidences, which was a kitchen knife that was located in his palms, forensics stated it was suicide on 7th February. The messy room might be caused by stress, and the slit on his bronkus fitted the kitchen knife perfectly. However, bruises might also be caused by self harm, but still no verifications yet. Family members were also asleep during his death."

Ava closed the files and kept them again, then she saw Whitney who was in a verge of tears.

"Oh, honey, c'mere," Ava opened her hands widely, signaling Whitney to hug her and cry her heart out. Whitney hugged Ava tightly, weeping as memories of Daniel came rushing back to her.

She remembered how she met Daniel, she remembered how she dated Daniel, and she remembered how Daniel died.

She remembered everything.

Ava took her time, waiting for Whitney to calm down, as she thought about what to do first.

Whitney then let go of the hug, wiping her eyes as her make up was starting to mess up.

"Need tissue?" Ava offered. Whitney refused by shaking her head, as she took a napkin from her hand bag.

Ava started the engine of the car with the keys, before she stepped on to the gas pedal and the car made its journey to 12th Street.

The place where he died.

Whitney gulped her silava, while clenching her beige handbag.

"So, Whitney," Ava said, trying to think of a inoffensive question, "How did you come up with the fact that your boyfie didn't commit suicide?"

Whitney narrowed her eyes, holding back her tears, "It...."

■■■

03.17 p.m.

Ava opened the car door for Whitney, whose face was as pale as paper, chatting intense topic with Ava, not to mention her car-sickness.

With shaky legs, Whitney stepped the front yard of the Rust Residence. She hadn't visited since the burial ceremony, and the aura of the house didn't felt warm as usual, it was cold like winter. Without Daniel, everything seemed cold to Whitney.

Whitney walked down the path to the big white house step-by-step with her wobbly legs, as she was too nervous to meet his family after his death.

Whitney finally reached the dark stained wooden door after she strived to walk through the front yard. Her knees and her fingers were trembling more and more when she stared at the doorbell.

You can do this, Whitney.... she thought to herself. With her feeble arms, she lifted it slowly to ring the bell.

Her fingers was shaking vigorously as it got closer and closer to the bell, until it finally touched the bell.

"Press it," Ava whispered. Whitney nodded then pressed it in a speed that almost seemed motionless, and her lips were quivering.

Yet, she did it.

The sound of the doorbell echoed inside the house. Footsteps were heard as they reached to the door. The door creaked open, to reveal Eden Rust, the elder brother of Daniel Rust.

His face which was emotionless suddenly changed into surprised as he saw both Whitney and Ava standing before him.

"Whitney.... I, we missed you so much." He then pulled Whitney into a tight hug. Whitney suddenly missed Daniel's warm hugs, and the fragrant scent of his shirt.

She missed him.

"Whitney? Is that you?" Whitney pulled away from the hug and saw a middle-aged couple standing by the stairs.

"Mister and Mrs. Rust!" Whitney ran to the both of them and hugged them tightly.

"Oh, I thought you wouldn't visit us anymore." Mrs. Rust commented. Whitney shook her head after they separated the hug.

"Where's Carrie?" Whitney asked the parents. Carrie was the youngest of them all, yet the quietest of them all.

"She kept shutting herself out and stayed in her room since the funeral. We couldn't do anything about it." Mr. Rust concluded. Every member of the family's eyes was red and swollen, like Whitney's herself.

This was supposed to be her family, this was supposed to be her house, this was supposed to be when her children lived...

If only Daniel didn't die.

"The Rust family, may I speak to you for a sec?" Ava spoke up as she felt ignored by everyone.

"Yes, of course," Mrs. Rust replied. The dark-skinned girl then took out a notepad from her back pocket.

"I'm Ava Smith, a training police here, and I want interrogate all of you, right here and right now, about the case of Daniel Rust's death."