Chapter 42

We got in around 7 and brought everything from the car inside. We left the solar panels in the trailer. The boys would set up the solar panels tomorrow and start working on making the car solar. We only needed to make one trip to the car to bring everything in.

"I think I'll start dinner." Kelly said grabbing a can of what looked like corn.

"Landon, Luke and I can get the crib put together. The question is what room?" Blake asked.

"Either ours or Luke and Landon's." I said as I began unpacking the bags we had filled with supplies.

"Their room it is." Blake said with a laugh as they went upstairs to set it up.

"We got some clothes for you guys." I said handing Kelly a couple T-shirts and a pack of underwear and doing the same for the girls.

"Thank you." Kelly said with a smile. I smiled back while handing Jordan and Parker their things.

"No problem." I replied. I handed Ava the backpack full of baby things and the coloring supplies, "there's things for all you kids in there. You can go unpack them if you want." I stated starting to organize the bins I put the painkillers in one ace bandages and braces in another and the boxes of bandaids and already made first aid kits in the third one. It only took me about 10 minutes to do and after Kelly said dinner was ready.

"Boys, Dinner!" I yelled up the stairs.

"We'll eat later." Luke called back. I went to the table and sat with Neil. I fed him single pieces of corn and very small strips of jerky.

"Well looks like we didn't need the blender after all." Ava said.

"I guess not, but we have it somewhere. We just need to make sure it's in very small pieces." I told her. We made small talk about plans and tomorrow we were going to go out and see if any of the houses had clothes for everyone, a heavy blanket for everyone and maybe some more baby clothes, diapers, and wipes for Neil. After we finished unpacking everything and the crib was set up it was around 10 so I went to the hall closet and grabbed one of the throw blankets that were neatly folded on the top shelf and carried Neil up to bed. I put him down and he said something,

"Momma." He said and smiled. I hugged him tightly and put him in his crib and tucked him in. I gave him the stuffed animal I picked up for him which was a small blue elephant. He repeated the word Momma again.

"Goodnight baby boy. I love you." I said and kissed him on the head. I shut the door and went to my room to find Blake drawing. I sat next to him and started crying. He immediately put down his notebook and pencil and pulled me closer.

"What's going on?" He asked as he pulled me into his lap.

"N-Neil called me momma." I sobbed. He held me tighter trying to console me. I don't know why I was upset and I don't know when I fell asleep but when I woke up my eyes were heavy, we were laying down and I was curled into his chest. He was still awake. "What time is it?" I asked through a shaky breath.

"Only midnight." He said wiping a hair out of my face.

"Is Neil still awake?" I asked.

"I think so. I heard Luke talking to him a few minutes ago. Do you want me to go get him?" Blake asked starting to sit up.

"I want him in here." I nodded and a minute later he brought back the baby and the elephant. Blake shut the door and put Neil on the floor and let him walk to me with the light of the flashlight. Neil sat on my lap and leaned into me. I rocked him back and forth and within about five minutes he had fallen asleep. I carefully laid him down next to me and snuggled him. I felt Blake drape his arm around me and after a few minutes I fell asleep.