Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

Megan

Ring. Ring. Ring.

The telephone on her right rang with an incoming call. Megan debated whether to answer it or not, as it could be correlated with work. Rianna had gone with Wade for the conference meeting and she didn't think Wade would approve of her meddling with his work. So she chose to ignore it and get back to typing.

The clock tick tick tick and the sound of her manicured fingers tapping against her keyboard grew louder as the phone quieted. She wrote three sentences in before it chimed again.

She let out an exaggerated sigh as her fingers paused above the keyboard. Her eyes found the telephone again, already thinking twice about her decision. If she didn't answer it, it would ring again and again. It was clear that the caller wouldn't take no for an answer when the ringing stopped only to start all over again.

For some reason, her heart picked up pace as she moved closer to the pulsating, noisy object. She stared at the phone as if it was a snake ready to bite her.

Wade was gone for only fifteen minutes and he wasn't going to be back anytime soon.

She groaned. She didn't understand why answering a phone call and telling the caller that the boss wasn't around was such a big deal. With renewed confidence, she picked up and placed it in her ear. "Hello?"

There was a lot of swishing before a feminine voice spoke. "I'm sorry for interrupting, Ms. O' Shea." She didn't bother to correct her. "I received another email from B. S. Harris via Mrs. Simon's email. It was the same as the others. He wanted to meet her to talk."

Cold sweat broke out on her forehead. B.S. Harris was Bryan's dummy email. It was the account he'd been using to contact her. Did Wade keep her old email? She recalled Wade telling her that she should get another email, for that old one was suddenly jam-packed by offers she wasn't interested in. She didn't bother checking it since then, how did Wade know the password? Why did this girl have it?

"Ms. O' Shea?"

She jerked. Her voice was a mere whisper, silently praying that the girl wouldn't find out that it wasn't Rianna on the phone. "Y-Yes?"

"Would you want me to forward the emails to Mr. Simon? It was the same as †he others."

"Please." Great. Stuck with one-word. Very convincing.

"I'm sending it now."

She hung up the phone and hurriedly opened Wade's laptop. Her heart thudded pathetically as she typed in the password. She didn't know if it was her lucky day, but as it opened, there was his inbox in all its glory.

There were several emails coming with the subject B.S. Harris. The first ones were emails that basically begged her to talk to him, that he missed her. He said that he wanted to meet and congratulate her with their marriage in person, that they both needed closure. The last ones though, Bryan narrated his day, he said that some things reminded him of her and if she was receiving his emails, any word would be appreciated.

She leaned back against her seat as she stared at the last email.

Here was the thing about Bryan.

He was sweet, caring even, but his bits of help were never welcomed. It was mainly for the reason that he always ended up fucking things for her in the end.

She rolled her neck, trying to ease the tension she felt after reading his messages. Inhaling and exhaling, she sat there, as realizations gradually found her consciousness.

Future and her parents aside, she was happier now. Wade had already said the much-awaited three words and saying those words in return had never felt right. It felt as though after saying it from one person to another, it finally found its home.

A smile made its way to her face. So many things that were left unknown slowly revealed its self these past few weeks. Knowing, hearing and seeing them made her more aware of herself. Like the puzzle that was her being was now coming to pieces.

Her eyes found the email on the screen once again. "That's it. Let's do this."

She moved closer to the desk and grabbed her phone. Launching the email app, she typed in the words she never thought she would ever say to Bryan Harris.

Let's meet at the pub across campus. Now.