Prolouge

"Daddy! Mommy!" The little girl called as she ran through the woods. She was only 4 years old, she had long brown hair that blew in the wind behind her as she ran and hid. She burrowed further down in her hiding spot as she heard footsteps drawing nearer to where she was, holding her breath so they could not hear.
The woods grew silent; all that could be heard was the slight wind through the trees and the woodland creatures around her. The little girl stays in the hiding spot she had found for herself. She waits and waits for something to happen, a noise or a movement, but it stays silent for several minutes.

The silence begins to grow from a lightweight silence to a earie silence. Then the little girl is grabbed straight from her hiding space by a man. The man was her father, Davis Conners. He smiled down at Lacey and she giggled and pouted, for she had been found. "I got you, princess." Her dad said lifting her up in the air and then kissing her head. Davis sets her down on her feet and grabs her hand, "ready, baby?" He asks looking at his daughter, she gives him a strong nod.

Without waiting for his signal she runs, and he follows keeping his pace slow to keep up with her.  She runs and runs until she sees her mom in the distance with open arms like always. "Mommy!" She cheers and picks up her speed as she runs into her mommy's arms.
The sun starts to set on the woods as her father comes after. He hugs his wife and little girl, just as his son appears from the woods. The man looks at his son, and places a arm around the son's shoulder, giving his shoulder a light, loving squeeze.
The little girl lets out a yawn and starts to fall asleep on her mom, her mom carries her inside and leaves the boys outside. Together, they run.

This happened almost every night as a family thing.

***

"Mom, dad?!" The boy called out in the woods. He had been walking for miles, but saw nothing of what he needed to find. He ran and ran, searching for something he needed to find. He felt deeply as if something bad happened, his parents had not come back yet from their "business" trip. The boy knew something was definitely wrong, and he had to find out what. He ran and ran. Ran and ran.

Running. Running. Running.

Until he something stopped him short. There. On the ground, lay blood. A splattered trail. He followed the blood trail; despite the gut wrenching horrible feeling he had. Then he saw something that would scar him for the rest of his life.

Wolves from his pack and others, slaughtered.

Dead on the ground.

The boy didn't dare scream for he knew whatever, or who, did this could still be here. The boy silently shuffled through the gruesome mess of wolf bodies until he found two big black wolves at the front of the mess. Near each other they lay.
He dropped to his knees and hugged one of the bodies. Sobbing.

He knew it was his father.

He sobbed for hours over his father's body.

But his mother's was no where to be found.