Ch.17

Before you read, don't forget to vote and comment

-Aqierra

Ch. 17

Sitting around in the crowded waiting room, waiting on word about her grandmother had Sage literally on pins and needles. Try as she might, she couldn't stop herself or her nerves from bouncing her leg repeatedly up and down as the agonizing wait lingered on. Taking the time to run her hand through her hair, pushing the fallen mess behind her head, she placed her face in the palm of her fist as a trail of tears fell from her eyes.

She was at a lost for words with the gut punching feeling of those huge double doors opening and Dakota and the other doctors walking out confirming her fears. No matter how much she tried not to think about it, she knew that her grandmother's time on this planet was quickly coming to an end. Feeling so lost and full of sadness, she lifted her head to see her father sitting on the opposite end of the waiting room looking off into space.

As much as she hated feeling the way she was, she knew that her father had been feeling ten times the pain, after all he was losing his mother.

Taking the time to push up from her seat, Sage made her way over to join her father, who she knew needed her. Taking a seat next to him, she silently reached over and placed a comforting hand in his and placed her head on his shoulder.

Sighing softly she let another tear slip out of her eyes as she looked on and found her eyes lingering around the waiting room seeing other people waiting to hear about their own family members.

Feeling her father give her a reassuring squeeze of the hand, Sage found herself releasing a small sigh.

"What are we going to do?" she asked in a soft spoken tone. "Grams was the glue to this family."

"I know baby girl." Simon said as he reached over and held his daughter closely to him. Looking down at Sage and seeing the grief feeling her eyes, he knew that he had a lot to make up for. He hated to see his daughter in so much pain and knowing that his mother was fighting before her life was doing a number on him. With so much going on in his life at the moment, the last thing that he wanted was to see his little girl grieving over the woman she called mom. Yes his mother was her grandmother, but she had raised Sage like she would her own child, and for that he was entirely grateful.

When he was away overseas in the military, his mother had kept him in touch with everything that had gone on back home. No matter good or bad, she had always managed to keep both his and Sage's spirits up. And with him never home, having his little girl grow up without him being a constant figure in her life, his mother had done one hell of a job. He just wished that he could return the favor to her. He wanted to give her the peace that she needed as she entered her finally stages of life.

Holding Sage close to him, he knew that there was only one thing that he could do that would make her comfortable and happy at the same time.

As much as it pained him to do, he placed his head on the hard surface of the wall and closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath and releasing it slowly.

After a moment of silence hung in the air, Simon pushed himself up, making Sage lean up as well and bringing her soft brown eyes on him.

"I need to get some air. Will you be okay for a few minutes?" he asked softly, taking her small shake of the head as a confirmation to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Sage watched as her father turned to leave noticing the heavy weight he seemed to carry on his shoulders as he walked tall and strong with a dark shadow that seemed to linger behind him.