35. We're cool

So turns out, at some point in Sokovia I almost broke my ankle. It's really badly bruised and the doctor said I shouldn't walk on it for the next two weeks. I don't think it will take that long to heal, but I'll have to see. Or that's what dad says at least...

We're in dad's orange car. Harley went back home the day after Sokovia, and Maddie played eat Clint's for a little longer that day, and then left in the evening. She called when she heard what happened. She thought we might have been splattered with the city. But we're fine, except for the ankle, but I didn't notice that yet at that point.

We spend a few more days in the tower, and now we're on our way to the new Avengers facility. It's a huge building and a lot of people that used to work at SHIELD work there now. It's like the tower, but so much better!

We arrive there and go inside. I was here a day or two back and dad showed me around all over the place. It took really long because it's so big, but it's really awesome.

We get out of the garage and go upstairs to where Thor and Steve are waiting. I refuse to go in the wheelchair, but crutches aren't really my thing either. So now I'm hanging off Steve's back, cause dad's tired of me. Thor says he's just getting old, but who is he to say that? I mean, he's like a thousand years old or something.

"The rules have changed." Steve says.

"We're dealing with something new." Dad states. I really do wonder what this is about now. I wasn't playing attention, but that's really nothing new.

"Well, the vision's artificial intelligence..." Steve continues.

"A machine." Dad continues.

"So it doesn't count?" Steve asks. 

"No, it's not like a person lifting the hammer." Dad answers. I sigh. This again. Dad went on about that for quite a while on our way here.

"Right." Steve says. "Different rules for us."

"Nice guy. Artificial."

"Thank you."

"He can wield the hammer, he can keep the stone. It's safe with the vision." Thor finally speaks up, coming to a stop from the quite fast pace. "And these days safe is in short supply." He continues.

It stays quiet for a while. "But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." Steve finally starts.

"It would still go up." Dad finishes.

"Elevator's not worthy. What do you think, Nova?"

"You're unbelievable. And then you say I'm a kid." I sigh, dropping my head on Steve's shoulder. He laughs a little.

"I'm gonna miss these little talks of ours." Thor says, slightly shaking dad's shoulder.

"Not if you don't leave." Dad shoots back. Thor drops his arm and sighs a little.

"I have no choice." Thor says, walking further. "The mind stone is the fourth of the infinity stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence. Someone's been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. And once all these pieces are in position..."

"Triple Yahtzee." Dad finishes.

"You think you could find out what's coming?" Steve asks while pulling me off his back. Dad holds up his arms while Steve puts me on dad's shoulders.  

"I do. Besides this one," Thor says while Softly hitting dad on his stomach. "there's nothing that can't be explained." He smirks. I giggle a little while dad just looks at Thor for a second before putting on his sunglasses. Dad reaches in his pockets and hands me a pair as well. Thor gives a slight nod, saying goodbye. Then he raises his hammer and this big rainbow colored sort of lightning comes down on him and takes him away from here, leaving this really cool looking, smoldering mark in the grass.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance." Dad says, shaking his head a little and turning to Steve. "I'm gonna miss him though. And you're gonna miss us. There's gonna be a lot of manful tears." Dad clicks a button on something, making the car bleep and the engine start.

"I will miss you, Tony. And Nova, of course." He smiles.

"Yeah?" Dad asks while the car drives up to us. "Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book. Build Pepper a farm, hope nobody blows it up. How 'bout that smalls?" Dad asks. I nod a little while he lifts me off his shoulders.

"The simple life." Steve says.

"Yeah. You'll get there some day."

"I don't know. Family, stability... the guy who wanted all that went in the ice 75 years ago. I think someone else came out."

"You alright?" Dad asks while handing me over to Steve once more. I swing my arms around his neck and give him a quick hug.

"I'm home." He nods, looking at all the people training at the new facility.

Dad gets into the car while Steve helps me in on the other side.  Dad starts the car and drives off slowly. I wave frantically at him until he's out of sight. We drive off and head back to the tower once more. We'll be staying there for the next few weeks until we find something new. Whatever dad decides. 

"Everything alright over there?" Dad asks while looking over at me. I nod with a slight smile.

"I'm just gonna miss them, I guess."

"Well, we will go back. And we won't be far away from them. It's different then when we where in Malibu. You can go over for a while and train with them. I think they'd like that." Dad smiles. I nod again and turn to look outside. It's so much quieter here then in the city. I like it. I hope dad's gonna get us a farm like Clint's. I'm not that sure about that yet, though. I mean, he has a lot of plans all the time, so...  I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see. We'll be fine though. We always will. As long as I'm with dad, it doesn't really matter what happens. We're cool, apparently. So yeah... We will be fine.

That was it guys! I can't believe I actually finished it. I want to thank every single one of you for reading and sticking around. It really means the world to me! I hope you enjoyed this one! I know I enjoyed writing it. I know I've learned so so much since I first started this. But time flew by. I'm so happy with all the positive response I'm getting and just how it turned out to be eventually. It's not the end of Nova's journey. Far from it actually. I have the sequel published on my account already. It's called the winter children. It's a whole new thing that I'm probably even more excited for then I was with this one. A few people I know have read it and I can't wait to see what you think! So please do check it out and let me know! Thank you all again! I love you!!

~Sam