Tyler Griffith

Power: Invisibility

Date: Tuesday, September 4th

Time: 11:34 am

Location: EHS (gym, assembly)

...

"Hello, students of EHS," The principal, Mr. Gates said through him microphone. "For the freshman and new students, I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Mr. Gates the principal of EHS."

I tapped my foot on the floor and bit my lip. I was sitting in the front row with Devin and Noah by my sides. Riley was a few seats down from Noah and Bella and Alex were beside Devin, Jacob beside Alex.

I looked down the rows and back at Noah. "Where's Alana, were supposed to give a speech for everyone."

"I don't know." Noah school his head. "She promised she'd come."

The gym doors swung open and Mr. Gates stopped talking. Alana walked over and squeezed in between me and Noah. Mr. Gates resumed his speech.

"There you are." I whispered to her.

"I'm sorry, I just needed a moment." Alana tapped her fingers against each other and began swaying back and forth.

"You okay?" Noah whispered, grabbing her hand. I noticed this and looked back up at Mr. Gates.

"Just nervous." Alana removed her hand from Noah's and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "I have to talk the most."

"It's okay, if you can't, I will." Noah said, smiling lightly. Alana nodded and they both looked back up at Mr. Gates.

"These losses were sudden and tragic, seven kids were taken in vein, one to suicide, the rest of natural causes." Mr Gates flipped his page. "A group of students is here to talk for them, they are all close friends of the ones whom we lost. Please welcome Alana McLaren, Noah Schnapp, Riley Touché, Tyler Griffith, Devin Charter, Bella Fransua, Jacob Kimberly, and Alex O'Brien."

We all stood up and walked to the mic. It was handed to Alana first.

"Um..." Alana's lips quivered and Noah looked at her, furrowing his eyebrows. "These people were all very close to me, we had an unexplainable bond that held us together as if we were one. The five losses we had were all very sudden and all at once. We lost Mia, a caring friend and a calm soul. We lost Skyler, a humorous heart and a contagious laugh. We lost Tyrone, a strong, brave guy that held us together like glue. We lost Jackey, the girl who cared more about others than herself. We lost Jason, a respectable boy with a heart of gold. But that wasn't where it ended. In the tragedy that we had to suffer through, we lost Kitty, a bold soul with the smile to light a room. And we lost Aya, the one who didn't think she belonged with us, taking her own life from herself and the world. She didn't know how beautiful and brave she was, she didn't believe it. We now all stand together, a united group, yet we are still not ready for what the world has in store for us next."

She lowered the microphone from her mouth. Tears has come spilling out of her eyes, mid speech, but it didn't he run the way of her speaking of these great people. A tear fell from my eye and the microphone was handed to me. I took a deep breath in. "We weren't all just friends, we were girlfriends and boyfriends too. Kitty and I were together for a period of time and those moments were some of the best in my life."

I continued to talk but my mind faded elsewhere. I remembered-

-sitting on the porch with Kitty, we were at an Outcasts sleepover, but neither of us were sleeping. We sat in silence for a few moments when Kitty said something that changed me forever.

"I like you." She But her lip but didn't look at me. "Like like you."

She stood and tried to walk away but I grabbed her hand, pulling her to my lips. I pressed our soft lips together, the taste of cupcake frosting lingered on her lips. I pulled from the kiss and, with a grin I said, "I like you too."