He hesitated. "I...shouldn't accept drinks from strangers."

                She took it back, gulped down far too big of a sip, and held it back out. "Not drugged, see?"

                He took a small sip and made a face. "That's strong."

                "That's the point." She took it back. "What's your name?"

                "Matthew Kipling," he said, which didn't sound familiar to Elena at all.

                "I'm Elena," she said.

                "Elena!"

                Elena heaved a long sigh at the echo of her name. She turned as a guy came stumbling over, clearly too many drinks in too early to the night. He steadied himself against the wall and grinned down at her.

                "What do you want, Eric?" she said.

                "Heard you're single now," he said, throwing in a sloppy wink.

                "Congratulations on having ears. Leave me alone," she said flatly.

                "C'mon, you and me can go upstairs. Better than hanging around this loser," Eric said, nodding at Matthew.

                Matt hung his head, his expression dropping. He gripped his beer tighter, looking like he wished he could disappear.

                Elena took the beer from his hands and stood up, facing Eric. "You're right. He is a loser. He didn't even finish his beer." She saw Matt wince out of the corner of her eye, and smiled widely at Eric. "Here, help him out, Eric." She dumped the beer promptly onto his head, and shoved him back so that he fell on his sorry, drunk ass.

                "Bitch!" Eric snarled, propping up on his elbows to glare at her.

                She flipped her hair over her shoulder. "A bitch who isn't lying on her ass covered in beer."

                Elena turned and held her hand out to Matt. He took it and let her pull him to his feet, looking between her and Eric.

                "But you said I'm a loser," he said in a small voice.

                "You are. So am I," she said. "Let's be the biggest losers and ditch this place."

                Eric swore after them as they left the house. The outside world was quiet compared to the loud, bass-heavy music filling that house. The cold air bit at their exposed skin, and Elena shivered. Matt awkwardly touched his hoodie.

                "I, uh, I'm not wearing anything under my hoodie, but if you're really that cold," he said, looking away and blushing.

                "Keep your shirt on. We just met," she said, and laughed as his blush grew. "I'm kidding, Matt. Mostly. Are you hungry? Let's go get something to eat."

                They walked alongside each other. Mat was looking around, taking in the sight of the town. Elena watched him. She was so used to boys like Eric. Maybe that was because she had a shit taste in friends. Or boys.

                Matt was refreshing.

                They entered a little sandwich shop and got pick food, claiming a table in the back. Matt peeked up at her.

                "Why were you crying?" he finally said.

                "Because I was sad," she said.

                He furrowed his brow. "Well, I figured. But what were you sad about?"

                That startled another laugh out of her, and she wondered if that first drink was kicking in. "My dumbass boyfriend cheated on me a few days ago. Shit guy."

                Matt frowned, looking genuinely sad at the news. "Oh. I'm sorry."

                She shook her head. "Nah, I'm glad he showed what a dick he was before we got too serious." She leaned over the table towards him, smiling a little. "I'm planning to get my revenge. I've thought about it a lot. He had two side chicks. Or maybe I was a side chick. Either way, there were three of us, and right now I'm the only one who knows. So I'm going to out him to those other two girls. Have one walk in on him getting with the other. Then they both know and we can all spread how horrible he is so other girls don't make the mistake."

                Matt seemed surprised she was telling him this, but he didn't tell her she was crazy or drunk or that it wasn't her business anymore. She was sick of people telling her things like that.

                Matt just nodded. "They should know. No one should cheat in a relationship."

                "Exactly!" Elena sat back triumphantly, then shook her head a little. "Sorry. I think I'm a little drunk. I didn't mean to drop that on you."

                "If it was bothering you, you should be able to tell someone," Matt said, frowning. "If you're drunk, can I walk you back to the dorms? You shouldn't walk alone if you're drunk."

                "Sure, yea, walk me back. But I'm not done stuffing my face yet," she said.

                He looked relieved. "Me either. These tater tots are really good."

                She put a hand over her face and laughed. "You're really something, you know that?"

                "Really something?" he looked confused, but also a little pleased.

                "Yea, Matthew," she said. "Want to get breakfast tomorrow? My treat for walking me back to the dorms tonight."

                Matt smiled, a cute, shy smile. Elena was so used to cocky boys with cocky grins. It was nice to see a boy who understood that Elena was a person, not a body. That breakfast meant a friendly invitation, not that she wanted to sleep with him.

                "Yes," he said. "We can meet at the bus stop at...what time will you wake up? My roommate always sleeps late when he drinks."

                "I didn't drink a lot. Meet me at the library bus stop at, let's say ten?" she offered.

                He brightened. "Sure. I know a café in town with a good breakfast menu. I hope you like French toast."

                "French toast sounds good," she said.

                They finished their pick food, talking lightly about their majors and their friends and their favorite books. Elena found she had to urge a conversation out of Matt, but he got so excited to talk about certain things that the little effort felt rewarding in the end.

                When they finished eating, Matt kept his word and walked her back to her dorm. He even walked her up to her room, worried she might stumble on the stairs. But he didn't try to invite himself into her room. He just stood in the doorway, that shy smile on his face.

                "Goodnight, Elena. I'll see you in the morning?" It was a question, and she wondered if people had tricked him before.

                "Ten at the bus stop," she confirmed, and made a mental note to get there early so he knew she wasn't just teasing him. "Thanks, Matthew. And thanks for letting me dump your beer on Eric's stupid head."

                "I didn't let you," he said. "You took it from me."

                "I'll buy you a drink sometime to make up for it," she said, a promise that breakfast tomorrow wouldn't be the end of their time together. "Goodnight, Matthew."

                She shut her door and sat on her bed, smiling a little to herself. He was refreshing, and Elena hoped she could spend more time with Matt in the future.