Chapter Thirty Three

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Thirty Three

I drop my wrist after boringly playing with my patient band, reading over my name countless times

I drop my wrist after boringly playing with my patient band, reading over my name countless times. After William had announced he had some sort of 'plan' to Jake, they left the room alongside with Chuck and Becky.

Meaning Hunter is left uncomfortably standing to the side of the room and I am stuck in the hospital bed.

Was this their plan? To leave him with me and hope he would be the solution to all my problems.

He attempts to say something, but closes his mouth. He doesn't know what to say. Perhaps he's seen what the rest of Lacewood has- that I'm a lost cause. At least that's how I feel.

There is no flattery in the past week. Things have been a train wreck of avoidance and tension. Even now I can imagine how horrible this may look.

Hunter Kings standing incredibly awkward and clueless. It's like the walls are crushing him. Nothing about him leads me to believe he's slept comfortably or had focus for days.

Lolita Brown laying with wires and tubes connected to her, including the horrible one taped to her cheek that disappears into the nose. Her skin is ghostly and her face slimmer than it was a week ago.

William suddenly pushes stands in the doorway. "Hunter, get your ass out here before I kick it again." He hisses and waves him down.

I shoot an unimpressed glance at William. I understand he is mad, but it gives him no reason to physically hurt Hunter and talk to him the way he does.

This isn't his fault.

The two leave the room and I release a huff. My attempts to get cosy in the bed fail. It's terrible. The only nice place to sit is the couch where I typically spend my time.

I check that I'm not attached to any other machines despite my drip and nasal gastric tube bags that hang on the same mobile pole. I flick off the heart monitor. There was a big off button from the machine it came from, so I pressed it and avoided it blaring in flatline.

I throw the thin blanket off and slowly climb out of the bed, letting my shaky legs carry my weight. I drag the pole with the two liquid bags hanging from it with me to the sofa where I can be more comfortable.

I sigh deeply when I sit in the corner with my legs bought to my chest as I stare the the thick layer of dark green trees and the Lacewood Lake. My body temperature has been so low that I try and keep all my limbs together to help warm them up.

I'd let myself crumble apart again. I thought I wouldn't have to look out this window again.

I lean my head against the back of the couch and force myself not to cry. I have done enough crying already. I barely slept last night because of it.