Chapter 23

The two days of break had passed by her quickly, and Akina was soon sitting in her classroom, chatting with her classmates.

"It's so weird that people recognize us from TV! Everyone wanted to talk to me and Aki on the way here. Mostly Aki though, since she did win third place."

Akina lightly punched Mina's arm, "Oh, shush. There were a good amount of people who wanted to talk with you, Mi."

"Yeah me too!" Kirishima said, a wide smile on his face.

"You wouldn't believe what a group of elementary school brats yelled at me." Sero stated.

"Nice try?" Asui guessed, which was confirmed by a groan from Sero.

"Aw, you can't blame them Sero, you were up against Todoroki for your first match." Akina stated, patting the boy on the shoulder with a warm smile. "And it was a nice try." The last part was purely her teasing the poor boy, who seemed like he was about to cry.

"What did I do to deserve this?" Sero asked, mostly to himself.

The door suddenly slid open and almost like it was rehearsed, everyone moved to their seats and looked up towards the front.

"Good morning Mr. Aizawa." They said as the tired man walked up to the front of the room.

"Ribbit, Mr Aizawa, you don't have bandages anymore. That's good news." Tsuyu pointed out.

"The old lady went a little overboard in her treatment. Anyway, we have a big class today, on hero informatics." He said as the class started to tense up at those words— most thinking that it might be a pop quiz. "You need code names. Time to pick your hero identities." He continued, leading to the class cheering out in excitement. It wasn't long until Aizawa activated his quirk and everyone was sitting in their seats quietly. Once it was silent, he continued. "This is related to the hero draft picks I mentioned the last time we were in class together. Normally students don't have to worry about the draft yet— not until the second or third year actually, but your class is different. In fact, by extending offers to first years like you, pros are essentially investing in your potential. Any offers can be taken away if their interest in you dies down before graduation."

"So we're still going to have to prove ourselves after we've gotten recruited?" Hagakure asked.

"Correct. Now, here are the totals for those of you who got offers." He aimed a remote towards the board and names started to pop up with numbers right beside them.

Upon seeing her name, Akina let out an audible gasp. Her name was planted right between Todoroki and Bakugo, her final number of offers coming to 4031.

"I didn't even know there were that many heroes." Akina muttered to herself, "That's insane."

"In past years it's been spread out, but this year there's a pretty big gap."

Around her, people were groaning about how they had gotten no offers or excited that they got some offers, some even pointed out that Todoroki got first while Bakugo got third, different than how they placed at the festival.

Probably because that explosive idiot scared some of them off. Akina thought.

"Despite the offers, you'll all be interning with Pros. Got it? Even those of you who didn't get any offers."

"Sounds fair." Akina muttered to herself as Midoriya asked a question that she didn't catch.

"You all got to experience real villains with the attack on the USJ facility. But it'll still be helpful to see pros at work, up close and personal, in the field, first hand."