Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"You are not coming with us!" Erebus snarled, barely restraining himself.

We had gotten in an argument as soon as he had returned and I wanted to know when we were going to leave. At first he didn't want to tell me but soon enough he gave in and explained to me why I couldn't come. It was too dangerous, he couldn't guarantee my safety and while these were perfectly reasonable arguments while I shouldn't be going, they applied to him as well. So I told him that we'd either both go or neither of us.

"I am!" I insisted, trying to keep my voice down.

"No, you are so not!" He argued back, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Then you are not going either!" I snapped, tearing up.

I was losing the argument and I knew that. I just wanted to keep him safe and going out there was achieving the opposite. If I went with him I'd at least be able to look out for him and take the hit that was meant for him. This was the same argument we had before when he left me at home and I wasn't going to let him do this to me again where he'd just make me stay behind and this time Thanatos wasn't going to help me again.

"You can't tell me what to do!" He growled, making me huff frustrated.

"Maybe. But you yourself said you weren't going to leave me and this very much feels like you are leaving me." I said, choking on a sob.

He looked pained at the state of despair I was in and opened his arms to me but I violently shook my head to convince him and me to stay away from me. While I desperately wanted to hug him and to feel his body pressed against mine, I knew that it was just going to destract me from the goal I had in mind and I couldn't allow myself that temporary relief if it meant I'd forget. 

"I don't want your hugs and kisses right now." I snuffled. "I don't want you to make me feel better."

"I'd never leave you." He assured me while he sounded like he was suffering along with me.

"Then why are you forcing me to stay behind?" I demanded to know.

He didn't say anything for a while and just ran his fingers through his hair, disheveling it and and messing up his otherwise neat appearance. He had put on his suit and the corresponding body armor, hair neatly parted and made to look suitable for meeting with Hell's leader. His bags were packed and waiting for him to stop arguing with me so he could leave. Mine were packed as well, waiting for him to allow me to come with him.

"I already explained the dangers to you. I just want to keep you safe." He gave me the same spiel again and I was getting fed up with it.

"You are a hypocrite and you know it." I snapped, marching up to him to stick my finger into his chest. "How dare you make me sit and wait while you are putting yourself in a situation you deem too dangerous for me.

"I can't stay here and do nothing." He tried to defend himself but we both knew it was a lousy defense.

"I know that. That's why I want you to take me with you. I can carry your things. I promise, I will stay out of trouble, just take me. Please!" I begged, grabbing his shirt.

His breath hitched as I accidentally pinched a piece of skin but he didn't give in and just stared at me, trying to keep his composure as I started crying. I just wanted to go home. He wasn't going to take me with him, the least he could do was bring me back home where I wasn't surrounded by angry gods and goddesses who just wanted to punish me. I could stay with Nolan for a while, bawl my eyes out and let him do my hair.