38. Puzzle

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I couldn't quite believe what was going on. I ended up eating with Jaden and his friends by complete accident. I was so occupied talking with Jaden that I didn't even realize I went to sit down next to him. My lord, when I realized I hadn't even asked for permission, I felt really embarrassed, but thankfully, none of them seemed to mind. Tilly even thanked me for the chocolate.

"So," Tilly spoke once she had gulped down her food – the rest of us were still halfway. "How are you?"

I was nervous when they all looked at me. "Good?" I said timidly.

"Good," she repeated and nodded. She stared at me for a moment, like she was trying to read my mind. "You have a really calm nature."

"I do?"

"I mean you're accepting all of this surprisingly well," she said.

"That's what everyone keeps telling me..." I muttered. "I just... have this feeling that this is how it's supposed to be... If that makes any sense."

"What do you mean by that?" Arch asked quietly, and leaned closer to me.

"Like I already knew about you. About everything," I told them like I told Jaden the day before. "But it just... slipped my mind..."

"Huh..." Arch breathed out, and pulled back to stare at me. "Like amnesia?"

"Yeah," I nodded slowly. "Maybe someone told me when I was little? Or I heard something... Or..." I tried once again to poke my brain to remember if anything weird happened in my early years, but nothing.

"There's spells that can do that," Tilly said quietly.

"Or trauma," Jaden said just as quietly, and they all turned to look at me.

I placed my hand on my shoulder out of pure instinct. The memory of that day when I got my scars tried to invade my mind.

"I see," Tilly muttered, and the atmosphere was changing. "Someone hurt you."

I shook my head. "I had a wild imagination when I was a child. It got me in a lot of trouble..."

"What kind of imagination?" Arch asked, acting casual and all, but I had the feeling he was trying to piece together the puzzle that was me.

"I had a lot of imaginary friends," I said, moving my hand away from my shoulder. "I was always having amazing adventures with them... Even a stroll around the store was like invading a dragon's lair..."

"Well, that could explain why you feel like you knew already," Tilly said. "It sounds like a fun childhood if you ask me."

"It got to the point where everyone thought I was crazy..." I trailed off. I really didn't want to talk about what happened in the last foster home I was in, but then again... Maybe they could help me figure out what was going on. "I was fostered a few times, but none of them could handle me and my imagination..." I spoke, shutting off my emotions. "In the last one, I was... I didn't like the real world, so I spent a lot of time in my imaginary worlds, causing trouble, and... I broke something valuable one night. I sneaked out of my room and climbed a big bookshelf, and I dropped this vase. My foster parents got really mad, and I... I thought they were like bad ghosts or something. They didn't look like humans at all... I was in a mental hospital for a while after that, and they never tried to foster me again, which is why I still live at the orphanage."