ch 16

Kiara

"So all I have to do is go inside and talk to her, then you'll let me go?" I asked Rick while I stared at the building next to me. Rick had just pulled up in front of Zana's job, and he was snorting white paraphernalia from his pinky finger.

After snorting he held his nose, getting a quick high from it. "That's all you have to do, and I'll let your ass go."

I nodded, placing my sunglasses over my black eye. I got out of the car, and made my way up the steps to the revolving doors. A security officer came from around his desk.
"Miss could I help you?" He was an older gentleman with salt and pepper hair.

I smiled sweetly at him looking around at the other people who was giving me funny looks. "I'm here to speak with Tarzana Andrews."

"Do you have an appointment miss?"

"No I'm her friend."

The security officer walked back to his desk to call her. "what is your name miss?"

"Kiara Washington." I became nervous, I just knew Zana wouldn't won't to see me.

He hung up the phone, and walked back toward me. "She's on the sixth floor, just stop by the first desk after getting off the elevator and get a guest pass."

I nodded sweetly, and pushed the up button on the elevator. While standing in the elevator I contemplated on what I would say to her, and how the conversation was going to go. The elevator dinged for me to exit, and I stopped at the desk where the security guard told me to go. I was handed a badge with the word Visitor on it, then pointed to the direction of Zana's office.

I took a deep breath and exhaled before knocking at her door. "Come in." She said. I opened the door and her eyes were in a few papers on her desk.

"Hello Zana." I said sweetly, shutting the door behind me.

Zana's head popped up, and she stood to her feet. These last two months of not seeing her, she looked quite different. Her hair was short, her skin glowed, and her hips had spread a little in her grey business suit. "What are you even doing here Kiara?"

"I wanted to talk to you. Look, I'm sorry for the way I treated you."

"You mean screwing my man, and then getting pregnant?" She asked folding her arms in a defensive stance.

I sighed, "I'm sorry."

"Yeah you are sorry, and I'm sorry to even believe that you were my friend. I trusted you, you were like my sister!"

I let a tear roll down my face. I didn't exactly know what to say to her now.

"Take the glasses off." She told me.

"What?"

"Take them off Kiara!"

I slid the sunglasses off my face, and she looked at me speechless. Zana walked over to me and touched my bruised face.

"I'm so sorry." I cried.

"He did this to you?" Zana asked examining my face.

I nodded and broke down in tears. "I didn't think he was like this. This is a every day thing now Zana."

"Have you went to the police?" She was concerned, I felt like I had some hope.

I shook my head no. "He won't let me go. He drove me here to talk you into taking him back."

Zana laughed and walked back to her desk. "And you think that if I take him back he'll stop abusing you, right?"

"I came in to warn you, he's outside and he won't leave until you talk to him. He only beats on me because I'm not you." I explained to her, "don't go out alright. I love you Zana, and I'm sorry for everything."

"You need to leave him alone, look at your face!"

"I just want you to be safe."

Zana turned toward her window. I walked over to her, and touched her arm, "I missed you."

"Kiara you need to go. I'll be alright. Go out the back, get away from him, but I don't ever want to see you again."

I cried again. "Please Zana, I'm sorry. I even decided to name my little girl after you."

"Please go."

I gave in, "I love you Zana, and even if you don't ever forgive me, I just wanted you to know that." I walked away from her, and out of her door. I placed my sunglasses back on my face, and headed for the elevators.

I stopped at the security desk again. "Excuse me sir, is there a back door here?"

"Follow me." He got up and took me down a long hallway to a exit sign. "Have a good day miss."

I exited the building and walked down the alley toward lots of pedestrians not daring to look back. I called my sister and left a message.

"Tonya, I'm heading out of town. I'll call you when I'm safe." I hung up the phone, and made my way to the bus station.

I knew if I would have went back to the car without Zana, that Rick was going to kill me. I didn't know exactly where I was going to go, but being in the same town as Rick I was in danger.

Rick

I was high off that white, nodding off in my car. I had been getting high ever since Zana left me, and I couldn't handle it. It had been two hours since Kiara got out of my car, and I didn't know where she had gone. I got out of the car, and walked up to the building that Zana worked.

I bypassed the security guard, and made my way up to Zana's office. I stormed into her office, and caught her by surprise. No Kiara in sight! My anger flared as I walked over to Zana and held her tightly by her neck.

"You thought you were going to leave me!" I yelled at her with spit flying from my mouth. "You ain't going nowhere!"

Her feet were off the ground, and she tried desperately to claw at my hands that were around her neck.

"Help!" She called out barely audible.

Zana began to kick at me, and I threw her across the room. She crashed into a small table, and held her neck trying to catch her breath. I heard someone in the hall scream for security, but I didn't care, I wanted Zana to feel the same pain that I had felt when she left me.

I ran over and kicked her in her side. She screamed in pain and rolled toward the door, but I caught her by her hair and pulled her back. My fist met her face, but I couldn't dare leave a bruise on her beautiful face.

"Get off of me Rick!" She cried and scratched at my face.

"Freeze!" A police officer called out at the door.

I dropped Zana to the floor and held my hands in the air. Ms. Sara ran over to Zana and helped her stand to her feet.

"Hands behind your back now!" The cop screamed. I did as I was told, but wouldn't take my eyes off of Zana.

"This is not over Zana, I'll be back, and when I do, we'll be together forever."

"Fuck you Rick!" She spat holding on to Ms. Sara.

The officer walked over and handcuffed me, and I smiled at Zana, the love of my life. She would soon be mine for good, and no jail was going to keep me away from her. None.