Chapter 15

Once we got back to the tower it was night. everyone went straight to bed, we all needed rest, especially Steve and Bucky. We agreed to have a meeting tomorrow morning to discuss what had happened and figure out what was going on. I plopped myself down on my bed and watched sadly as Bucky sat on his bed with no emotion on his face.

"Buck..."

I walked over to his bed and sat down next to him. He looked up at me and gave me a weak smile.

"Hey"
he whispered.

"Hey"
I whispered back.

"Talk to me"

he looked away and sighed
"they... they were trying to turn me back into the winter soldier, the hydra agent told me that... my first mission was going to be... to kill you"

I looked at him confused.

"He said that if hydra couldn't have you than no one could. Y/n if you came 30 seconds later, I- I could've-"

I put my hand over his mouth.

"Don't finish that sentence"

I pulled my hand away from his mouth And gently placed it on his cheek.

"Yes, that could of happened, but it didn't. I am okay, you are okay, that's all that matters"

I could see that Bucky was on the brink of a meltdown. I pulled him into my chest and Bucky let out a sob.

"It's okay"

I whispered into his ear. We stayed like that for most of the night. Bucky crying his heart out while i was trying my best to comfort him any way that i could.

"Miss Y/l/n, Mr Barnes, Steve would like you both to down in the meeting room right now"

I rubbed my eyes and forced myself to get up, i had only gotten under an hour of sleep last night.

"Okay, thanks FRIDAY"

I looked over and saw Bucky lying face up staring up at the ceiling, it didn't look like he had gotten any sleep at all.

"Hey Bucky, are you coming?"
I asked while changing into a black shirt and some ripped jeans.

"I, uh... think I will stay here"
he looked at me sadly but apologetically

"Oh... okay... I'll be back soon"

he nodded and went back to staring at the ceiling.

I sadly walked out of the room and headed towards the meeting room. Once I got there I went in and sat next to where Steve was standing, Wanda on my other side, everyone was already there. Steve looked down at me.

"Bucky?"
He asked hopefully.

I apologetically shook my head and he nodded sadly. Steve stood back up straight.

"Okay, we need to figure out why hydra did what they did"
Steve said.

"What do you mean capsicle? Didn't they just attack because you were there?"

"No... the base looked completely abandoned when we first went in, no signs of anything, they were hiding, almost like they were waiting for us"

I cleared my throat and everyone focused their attention on me.

"Last night... Bucky told me that the hydra agent told him they were trying to turn him back into the winter soldier to kill me"

"but why would they want to kill you?"
Clint asked.

"He said that if they couldn't have me, than no one could"

Steve put a hand on my shoulder.

"Can you hack into hydra? Find out if they have any files on this plan?"

"Sure can"
I replied as I grabbed my laptop.

I got into the files and found the one I was looking for. And what I saw shocked me.

"Shit"
I whispered loud enough that everyone heard.

"What is it?"
Wanda asked.

I looked up at them with tears in my eyes.
"They didn't just attack you both to get the winter soldier, they attacked you to lure us in, more specifically, lure me in..."

I can't believe i didn't think about this. It was so obvious what they were doing. I slammed my fist onto the table.

"Ugh! How could I be so stupid!"

"What are you talking about!?"
Tony asked

"when I first came to hydra, they implanted a chip into my body, so if I ever escaped and they couldn't get me back, with a click of a button the chip would start releasing a toxin, that slowly and painfully kills me... but, you have to be within 65 feet to set off the chip, that's why they wanted to lure me in, to-"

"set off the chip"
Natasha cut me off.

I nodded. Wanda grabbed onto my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Do you know how long it takes to fully kill someone?"
Bruce asked

"no, but I have seen the start of it being used on someone, the symptoms start pretty quickly"

"I will have to run some tests, try to figure out if we can get this thing out of you"

I nodded my head and got up.
"Wait"

everyone's head snapped towards me.

"You all can't tell Bucky"

"why?"
Steve asked.

"Because, Bucky is already blaming himself for almost turning into the winter soldier and killing me, how do you think he would react if he found out he unintentionally lead me to the start of my death, he has to much going on right now, I don't want him worrying about me"

everyone nodded in agreement.

"How long do you think you can pull off the 'everything is fine and I'm definitely not dying' act?"
Tony asked.

"As long as I possibly can"

A/N - is y/n going to make it? Or will the chip kill her? Sorry this is kind of short. 500 reads! Halfway too 1000💘
Word count - 902